
While we were in Montgomery Ken arranged passes for us to go to the main base and see the airplanes on display. It was heaven for our boys! Imagine a park with real planes displayed every 100 feet or so. You really can't make it much better for them.
This was the first one they fell in love with. POOPSIE. Poopsie is a bomber, the Air Force apparantly has a sense of humor! With all of the little dogs showing all the successful bombing missions completed. I think there were around 52.


A metal replica of the Kitty Hawk. An airmen showed the boys the switch to turn it on and off and it would make the flaps and propellers move.

The kids loved reading the plaques by each displayed plane. Of course the only real information they retained from it was how fast the plane flew. And quickly switching which plane was their favortie based on this information. They are totally boys! Afterall there is a big difference between 850 mph and 1300 mph!




Ginger would walk away from us (of course) and then try and get our attention like "Look, a plane!"



The Girls were really into the planes too. Or at least into their Dad, who was into the planes!


Here's the Big Guy! A B-52 This was huge, like as big as a football stadium. It was unreal.


Here is Darin next to the B-52's tire. It's as big as him!

Strangely, I find it comforting that our tires are manufactured by the same people who manufacture tires for these huge planes. BF Goodrich, I will be a loyal customer from now on!

More pictures of us with with the B-52


The one thing that really surprised me about being on the Air Force Bases was how nice they are. Ken would show me where the barracks are. And in my mind I would think some metal shed type building, but they weren't. They looked like apartment complexes. Overall the Base felt like being on a nice, well taken care of University, kind of like being at BYU. I was really blown away by this housing.


Aren't they beautiful! There is a whole area of houses like this with large beautiful trees around them by the officers club. Of course officers live in them, you know because their are little signs outside each one with thier names and rank on it.
2 comments:
How fun! I'm sure the kids were in heaven with all the big planes.
That looks like lots of fun. When I was about 10, my cousin and I went to visit our great uncle who at the time was the base commander of an Air Force base in California. We were so excited to get all dressed up and eat dinner at the officers' club with all the uniformed officers, etc. It is a fun memory.
Post a Comment