Oh my goodness the DRAMA! I'm not going to go into any of the details but here are some memorable quotes from tonight...
Mom: "Since you have such a passion for dancing then apparently I need to enroll you in a dance class."
Son: "No, I don't want to, I just don't want to, I don't want to be in a class with girls."
Mom: "Why don't you just spit it out, do you honestly think we haven't noticed that you guys have been bugging each other?"
Son: Looks sheepishly to the corner of the room.
Son: "I'm not bugging him, it's just when...he does...then I...But I'm not bugging HIM."
Son: "Then I guess I just can't do ANYTHING because it just annoys everyone."
Mom: "That's not true. It only bothers ME when you...
1. Do it when you are supposed to be doing homework, chores, etc.
2. Do it when you are interrupting and distracting you brother and sister from doing their homework and chores.
3. When you start doing it to take attention away from your sisters." Seriously I held up three fingers.
Mom: "So your bugging us because you want attention, while your brother is bugging you because he wants your attention?"
Son: "But he always asks me to play ______ (game), and ______ (game), and ______(game), and..." then named another 10 games.
Mom: "Seriously, you're saying you don't enjoy any of those games, like EVER? You just asked me if I would play _____(game) with you today!"
Dad: "Don't you realize that you are missing out on having a best friend that you get to live with and spend all your time with?"
Sons: looks wistful
Mom: "You guys will never be able to find a friend like the one you can have as a brother. Your friends don't think the same way as you boys do. They don't experience the same things you guys have. They aren't even as interested in the same projects like your planes, or your motor tracks, or the same books. Do you even talk to your friends about the books you like or don't like?"
Son: "My friends don't read as much as we do."
Mom: "Exactly!"
Son: Starts sobbing.
Mom: "If you guys joined forces then you would be able to totally talk Mom and Dad into so many more things. Don't you know that if you got together and came up with a plan of something you both want to do together that I would hardly ever say no. What happens if one of you asks me to rent a redbox. I might say sure, maybe next weekend. If both of you want to do it then I would say, okay we'll get one after school tomorrow."
Dad: "No Kidding, if you stuck together and stayed on each others side then you could win alot more of what you want."
Mom: "Yeah, and like if you got your sisters to go in on it you would be irresistible. There is no way we could say NO to all 4 of you if you all wanted to do something AND were all playing nicely AND were all happy."
So after the 2+ hours of drama-filled conversations everything lightened up quite a bit. How that happened, I'm still amazed about! Basically after the boys sincerely wanted to work on being good friends, they decided to test if we were true to our word. They came up with a plan and talked their sisters into being on their side. Which led to Daddy giving into all of them, and we played a few rounds of charades and sung a couple songs. And pretty much all we heard the rest of the night was, "One More! Please, One More!"
3 comments:
Hehehehe, I was dying laughing at some of those arguments. Really, you are lucky that it took only 2 hours for them to decide to join forces...I'm still working on mine for years now. Hehehe.
I don't know what's in the air but my kids have had major drama these past 2 weeks or so and I hate to say it but I was having a hard time getting excited for Spring Break (this week). However, today they all blew my mind and worked really hard and got along most of the day. It's been GREAT! I like your idea about teaming up. . . it's SOOO true! Whenever my kids are happily playing together and working as a team it always melts my heart. I should tell my kids that too ;)
That's so sweet Stephanie! Good teaching! It sounds like the lesson really sunk in also. Good job!
Post a Comment