Sunday, February 15, 2015

Nathan's Talk

Hi, my name is Nathan, and I was asked to talk on the enabling Power of the Atonement.  When I first looked up the word enabling in the dictionary, it said, "To give (someone or something) the authority or means to do something."  What I got from this is to give someone strength.  So the enabling Power of the Atonement is the Strengthening Power of the Atonement.

Through the Atonement, we can ask God for help when we need strength.  In Alma 20:4, it says that we "know, in the strength of the Lord though canst do all things."  The common thought today is that we can do anything through our own willpower, but that is incorrect.  There is one small change to that, We can do anything through the power of God. 

I know that I rely only on the Lord's help plenty of times, but I remember one time that I will never forget.  I was about to go to sleep, when I started to have a seizure.  My seizures start in one foot and spread after a couple of minutes.  When I got the feeling in my foot, I was scared.  I knew what it meant.  With all of this, I came to realize that the only way I could feel peace was if I would pray to the Lord.  When I prayed to the Lord, I felt him give me strength to withstand my seizure.  I felt peace at that moment, and it made my seizure turn from a trail into a blessing from God.  I realized that he helped me, and that was a lesson that I will remember. 

He can save us in our hardest moments, and he can give us strength to carry on.  According to Elder Bednar's talk on the enabling Power of the Atonement.  The first step is to, "Believe in the father and in the son and all they have promised to do for us."  The Lord has promised that he will give us strength if we look to him and obey his commandments.  The second is to "Obey God's commandments and partake of the sacrament regularly to build spiritual strength."  Obeying God's commandments helps us come closer to him, and be able to understand him more.  The one is to "Pray, fast, study the scriptures, and worship God at all times to feel his love."  The Lord requires that we do something to prepare us for his love and power so that we can receive the fullness of his blessings.  I would like to add one more, and it is to build your testimony of Christ's love and strength.  A testimony of Christ and his love is essential to knowing, understanding, and feeling his strength and what it lets us do.

Another personal experience that I had was when I got bullied in school.  In elementary school, I got bullied a lot about how I looked.  One particular day I heard some pretty nasty things that I could not ignore.  The Sunday before, I had learned how the Lord can strengthen us.  I knew that he could help me be able to feel peace through my hard time.  When I prayed to him and acted on my testimony, that God knows us and feels our pain, and that he wants to help us, I was able to stop the bully.  Which was something I could not have done alone.  I know that through what I understood about Christ and his power, and because I believed in him, I was able to fully feel his power and his love in that time.

The enabling Power of the Atonement can also strengthen us to be able to do good.  I remember one day that I wanted to give my best friend the Book of Mormon but I was super scared.  My mom suggested that I could pray to God and ask for help, so I did.  The Lord gave me strength and peace to be able to go to him and give him the scriptures, which I could not have done by myself.

I would like to bear my testimony that I know that God lives, and that Christ gives us power to do all things when we ask with real intent, and that we can do all things through him.  I know that Joseph Smith restored the Church, and that the Book of Mormon is true.  I know that God loves us and that he wants us to come back to him, and that he is willing to share his strength with us, and I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.
I love this boy!  I especially love to hear his testimony. He did a fabulous job on his talk!  This was his first talk that he did completely on his own.  Didn't even get a single input from us.  We are so proud of Nathan!  I also love that he will rock Hazel so that I can do my hair on Sunday morning.  Sweet brother!

No comments: