Monday, September 1, 2008

Life as a Furniture Maker, Contractor, Decorator

Over the past two weeks as we have scrambled to get our house cleaned up and organized... We aren't there yet, and probably won't be for sometime. Anyway, we have been building and building furniture. We have built a total of 5 bookcases (okay so on the last one I didn't want to do it anymore and I called me Dad and he was wonderful as usual and did it for us:-). But I (that would be me and the kids) built 4 bookcases, 1 dresser (it took 4 days to put together), and 1 extra large nightstand.


Most of the furniture was for the boys room, and then 3 bookcases for the Game Room. I'm trying to finish decorating the boys room, we painted the rest of their walls last weekend. That was kind of sad because now the murals I had painted of a huge monster truck and train are gone. But the boys are getting older and the blue walls didn't match the whole camo theme they love. They want me to paint a tank on the wall now, but that is way down on my list of stuff to do.

Ken has been building a hallway bench/shoe storage and his office. Thursday night Ken and I started talking about Labor Day weekend and what to do. This was our 1st weekend in 3 months (basically the whole summer) where he hasn't had to work, we haven't been traveling, or we haven't been booked with kid stuff. It's been insane and you would think, that we would just relax or I don't know, maybe actually finish all the million little projects around the house. But instead we decided let's turn our living room into an office. Why? I don't know, Ken has an office upstairs in a bedroom. It's just bugged us that we never use our living room except for the piano and store things I need to get rid of or donate to goodwill.
So Friday night we picked up the french doors, and did our demolition. The boys stayed up and helped us until midnight. They were very happy to take the hammer to the walls. We had to remove the little banister because we are going to close up that small section of the wall. We also had to remove all of the rounded corners.


Saturday morning my Dad and Ken started framing and Ken finished it up today. It took 2 days instead of the 2 hours the book said it would take:-) I can't tease him very much though because I didn't help and I left him with most if not all the kids while he was doing it. I've been busy trying to get my calling under control, getting Rose's preschool stuff ready, and finishing up the school clothes shopping. Rose has been her Dad's little shadow. She is so cute following him around in her pink and green flower swimsuit. She actually has gotten quite handy with the tools and knows how to use the screwdrivers now, and where to put the bolts. She was even able to put the handles on the drawers! Rose would use the screwdriver in back to hold the screw in place as she turned the drawer handle around in front. It's kind of amazing.

4 comments:

sockiepuppetsmom said...

Holy cow that was fast! I can't wait to see the finished product:)

Jamie and Lindsey said...

It's so fun to read your blog because you NEVER know what you'll read next. Most of my frinds this week did their blog all about the first day of school. Honestly they were all kind of boring with a cute little picture of each of their kids. Then I go to your your blog, and you are ripping your house apart! You seem to always be doing something exciting. I think Ken is doing such a great job so far, I would Love to see the finished product.

Natasha said...

I swear steph only you would be like ok lets just tear our house apart since we have nothing else to do. You crack me up. So is jamie saying my blog is boring thanks allot I think were pretty exciting to, just because im not going on a million trips or tearing my house aprat oh wait I did do that anyways love ya and glad your getting some remodeling done.

Reianna said...

I can't wait to see it!