Thursday, January 15, 2009

Nathan's Report Card and Flu

The boys just finished up the first semester of the year and awards were handed out at the school, complete with a pep band from the high school!

Unfortunately, Nathan came down with a flu bug the night before. Our tradition is that if the kids get good grades on their report cards we will take them out to dinner wherever they want. A few times it has backfired and they want a full dinner at the Japanese Steak House but 90% of the time it means they want McDonald's.

Since Nathan didn't get his report card we had this conversation:

Me: Are you sure you got good grades.
Nathan: Yeah, Mom, I know I did.
Me: Are you totally sure? I don't what to take you out and then it turns out you got bad grades.
Nathan: Ahhhh, Moooommm, you know I did. I always do perfect! There was only that one test where I missed two problems, and I had 1 paper in Social Studies that was only a 93, and 2 Math Worksheets where I got a 97, and... (seriously, this is totally like what he said except I don't happen to memorize his grades like he does)
Me: Are you sure because if you didn't get good grades, you'll have to throw up your celebration dinner, okay!

To say the least Nathan made the A Honor Roll. And he was actually disappointed in his report card because he did not get a 100% in any of his grades for his semester average. We have been telling him he is just going to have to be content with 2- 99% and 2- 98% And pleading with him to be happy and proud of his work and not focus on getting 100%. However that is a broken record with us. I just hope one day he will internalize that.

I am most proud of the fact that he gets every compliment code, every single term: works well, pays attention to directions, respects peers and adults, a pleasure to have in class, etc.

I was very sad that Nathan didn't get to go to the awards assembly because he was sick. He would have loved that! Instead he spent two days lying in my bed. But even getting sick he does great, or at least it would be a great comic scene in a movie.

I was at my Presidency meeting and got a call from my Dad (my wonderful parents were watching the kids because Ken was out of town on a business trip) telling me how Nathan's tummy hurt. When I got home he was really not feeling well. I had him come downstairs so I could keep a better eye on him. As we were walking he felt awful and ran for the bathroom. And he made it this close. Except for not quite, and it sprayed everywhere! The whole bottom 3 feet of the walls were covered, the entire floor was covered, it was just everywhere.

My poor little guy felt so awful so I rushed him to my bathroom to take a bath and get cleaned up. I set him up with fresh clothes and sprite. Then of course the girls were very upset. Ginger was just mad that I was gone, and Rose wanted attention because Ginger was crying. So I flopped onto the chaise with both of them and about 10 minutes later Ken walked through the door.

I was so happy for Ken to be home from his trip. Ginger had also gotten the stomach flu the 1st night Ken was gone. So even though he was only gone for 2 nights it felt like forever. Especially because he had just been on vacation for 1 1/2 weeks right before.

Ken really is my rock. He gave me kisses, the girls kisses, checked on Nathan, changed his clothes, told me to stay on the couch and cuddle the girls, and he went to work cleaning the awful bathroom.

Often, I worry about what it must be like for Ken to go on his work trips where he is staying at nice hotels that are always clean, and then he comes home to our home. Like is it such a disappointment? Does he wish he were still at a hotel?

Well, he put my worries to rest forever (ok, or at least for a week) because that night as we had two kids sleeping in our bed with us (we ended up with a 3rd one at 5 am too) He just smiles at me and says, "I'm really glad to be home!" And from the edge of the bed, Nathan says He's glad Dad is home too. "Me too!"
Even if it was only for 4 days, Ken is on another trip right now to CA this time for a week long conference at his headquarters and we miss him!

2 comments:

Jamie and Lindsey said...

I am glad you got to enjoy Ken home even if t was for a short time. I don't know how you make it when he's away, that is so hard for me. Congratulations to Nathan on his good grades! I think it's awesome that he is so deticated to getting good grades. I have to say I have been really proud of Dallin lately too.
I hope you are all feeling better now.

Natasha said...

Im so sorry that you are all sick. So sad that Nathan had to miss his awards assembly but what a great kid to do so well. You have an amazing hubby how lucky are you. Your a great Guy Ken thanks for taking care of Our Stephanie