Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Sun, Sand, Surf, Sleep, SSS...

I could add a few S's to that list like Sunburn and Sea Sick, but I'll get to that part later.

Ken and I had fun in Cancun. Here's the story in what little pictures we took.

After we ditched the kids and were on the plane we took this photo. About 2 minutes later we crashed and slept through the whole entire flight. We totally missed filling out the immigration forms and ended up being detained after we landed.

View from our balcony. When you laid down in the bed, all you could see was the blue sea. It was awesome!

We didn't take too many pictures of the room, but really isn't this the most important part??? And having the twice daily housekeeping and nightly turn down was wonderful! Mainly because we were taking 2 naps a day!

It was so hypnotic. We would lay down and talk, listen to the waves and feel the warm breeze, and then all of sudden it was 2 hours later.

Before our nice dinner.

This is the restaurant. It was really good italian food. We had fun experimenting with different appetizers. We also loved the Virgin Pina Coladas! Instead of dessert we decided to have another Pina Colada.

After Dinner we messed around and walked on the beach. It was really nice and super quiet. We had the whole beach to ourselves. We loved the JW Marriott sooooooo much more then the Ritz Carlton. The staff was nicer, the guests didn't behave like a 40 year old toddler throwing a temper tantrum like we saw frequently at the Ritz. The hotel rooms were much more updated at the JW. Our linens were nicer, actual soft bath sheets, instead of scratchy tiny towels (that is an important detail because we ended up with major sunburns). And the security and staff made themselves invisible until they saw that you needed something (making it possible to spend a few private hours on the moonlit beach!) The only thing better at the Ritz was the food.

The next day was just a beach day at the resort. We spent the first couple of hours loungeing on the beach. Ken rented us boogie boards and the waves were so strong it was easy to catch a ride.

Ken actually had planned on us getting a couple's massage from the Spa. But when he told me I got insanely jealous. Which was kind of weird since I had suggested it on our last trip. But it just hit me all of a sudden like, Wait I don't even give him massages (like in 10 years I can't remember a single time) do I really want some lady touching him:-) Ken was a good sport about it though and even gave me a massage. If we had been keeping score that would make it Steph= 500,000 Ken=0 Poor Guy!
This is us just 30 minutes before we headed in for the day. Do we look red? Or even pink?

That would be a No! instead, we head back to our room. And after another nap we wake-up and find Ken as red as a cherry tomato. And I'm not much better. And we can't even complain because we were just being dumb.

We slept in, and by the time we finished breakfast and went to the beach it was 1 pm. After breakfast we debated about if we should just play around in the room (literally, we brought Ticket to Ride and some card games because that's one of the things we miss from always having babies around) or take a nap. And I point out the fact that we had been in Cancun for 24 hours and still haven't made it to the beach during the day! And how people are going to laugh at us and tease us about never leaving our room if we come back without a tan.

So not only did we not wear sunscreen. We put on a tan accelerator. Seriously so dumb!!! And since it wasn't super hot or anything it didn't feel like the sun was bearing down on us. So now, 5 days later we are still in pain, blistered, and peeling.

Seriously next time we are sooooooo staying in the room. And everyone can just laugh at us.

Thankfully, Haagan Daz makes everything better. We got to share their ice cream fondue. Except this time when I say share I am happy because it is just with Ken so we could totally both double-dip since we weren't eating it with our 4 munchkins. Who not only stole all the good toppings, but they also ate all the chocolate.

In total we ate Haagan Daz three times. Basically whenever we weren't having fun.
1. After the Sunburn


2. Our trip to Cozumel. I got Sea Sick on the Ferry ride, plus we hated being cat-called every two steps, the crowds, the confusion. We did like snorkeling even though the reefs had pretty much disappeeared after the last hurricane. Ken was totally sweet to me on the ferry ride back, even though his sun burn killed he pulled me close to him and told me to just sleep on his chest so that way I wouldn't get sick again.

After we got off the Ferry Ride we saw it, beckoning to us like, I will make everything all right. And 2 scoops of Coconut Macaroom later, plus the comfort of taking a private taxi ride back to Cancun made the frustrations of the day melt away.

3. When our plane got delayed 4 hours, and you are sitting in the airport thinking I should have just called before we left the hotel because we could have been on the beach...Then talk to your kids on the phone and start to desperately miss them... And then we found another Haagan Daz. Yummy!

Our last morning in Cancun Ken woke up really early. And woke me up really early.

All to see this...




It was really beautiful and I will relunctantly agree that we should have done that every single day. We had the beach to ourselves again except for a few couples walking by. It was really comforting to talk and watch the sun rise.

After the sun came up I took the robe off and we had a mini-photshoot. You have to love the timer on our camera.
This is my favorite:

And this would probably be Ken's: (he hasn't seen them yet)

This is probably his 2nd favorite:

I liked this one too. He's my Partner and Best Friend:

Nice comforting moment over, and...

Seriously, half the pictures he took that morning were of us kissing.

It was a good trip. My parents totally spoiled the kids. So much that when we got home Ginger gave me the cold shoulder for an hour. I was so sad. But later that night she let me hold her for an hour and cuddle. And even later that night she ended up cuddling right up into me, of course. Because she is still refusing to sleep!

Rose totally shocked us! She handled our whole trip with a great attitude. Before we left, when we were gone, and when got home. She was just so happy go-lucky. It's weird to think this is the same little girl who a month ago didn't want to go to Nursery or her Preschool Group.

Our sons were pretty good and tried to milk us being gone for all it was worth. Although one took the liberty of having a breakdown before we left and the other had one when we got back.

So all in all, I feel little guilt about leaving them and I'm glad we were able to get away!

8 comments:

sockiepuppetsmom said...

Looks like you had a wonderfully beautiful romantic trip...just what you two needed:)

Hugs from mom said...

It looks like you had so much fun. You looked great in that dress too, I'm glad you were able to find it. What a great trip that must have been!

Jamie and Lindsey said...

Oh, it all looks so wonderful! I am glad you are enjoying yourself. That dress is so beautiful and with the shoes, you look so sexy!

Reianna said...

I loved hearing about your vacation in person. The pictures are gorgeous! You look amazing in that dress...I'm so glad you found another one. You didn't leave it did you, just kidding! Have fun on your trip to Alabama!

Kelly M said...

The pictures you guys took were fabulous! Um, that Haagan Daaz fondue is something I NEED to try! I could really use a few days on a warm romantic getaway. You guys are so lucky and don't ever feel guilty for leaving your kids. It is good for them. They will appreciate you more. I am glad you had a good time!

Lisa said...

Steph you look SO PRETTY in your dress! Looks like you two had a blast!

Sarah said...

Well, despite the sunburns, looks like you two had a pretty nice time! You do look beautiful in your dress and in the sunburn picture!

Natasha said...

ok so my trip wasn't nearly as romantic as yours but I still had fun. you look so sexy in your dress can't wait to see you soon