Mine has been full of nerves today as I am anxious to see how the boys feel after school today. Today is the first official TAKS testing day for Darin and Nathan. The Texas Assessment of Knowledge and Skills (TAKS) is a standardized test used in Texas primary and secondary schools to assess students' attainment of reading, writing, math, science, and social studies skills required under Texas education standards. Thank you wikipedia!
I'm probably going to say something very controversial...but it's how I feel.
I love the TAKS Test! I said it out loud.
Here's why I love the TAKS Test:
* The past few weeks have been full of lots of excitement as the big day has approached. My boys have been way more talkative about the actual educational parts of school rather then the usual recess, lunch, or PE.
* Nathan has taken 3 practice tests throughout the year. So what if he would have passed the TAKS the first day of 3rd grade. His scores have improved until finally he obtained a 100. His goal, not mine, and partially because his teacher said she would give out candy bars for every 100 test. The day he came home with 4 Cookies and Cream candy bars (his fav) was one of the best days at school for him EVER!
* Darin loved Camp Write Along that the 4th grade teachers put on. He is taking the writing Taks and having a week full of fun songs, games, and writing exercises all in a "Camp" format complete with snacks, skits, and costumes has really made Darin enjoy writing. Or in his own word; "Now writing is fun Mom!"
* Both of the boys loved the Taks Test pep rally on Friday complete with high school cheerleaders. They feel so grown-up and totally excited to take their test.
* Because of the practice they have done and the strategies they have learned Darin and Nathan feel empowered. They were so excited and didn't start showing any nerves about the test until last night.
* The Taks test is not like the standardized test that I grew up taking. Theirs has alot more of problem solving skills involved. This is not a test that you pass by memorizing facts. I love the fact that the boys are learning these strategies at such a young age. It is really beneficial in all aspects of their life.
* Their nervousness brought up a really good conversation about how to work as hard and prepare as much as you can, and then it's time to turn to Heavenly Father for the rest of the support you need to be successful. I'm glad the test is giving us an opportunity to teach them principles like this so easily and when they are young. It was really sweet to see them turn to Ken for a father's blessing.
* They don't have any homework this week!!! (That has to be my favorite), especially since we will be leaving on Thursday it's nice to be able to get an extra hour to play around each night.
* I was given major homework. Nathan was more then happy to bounce into the car after school and tell me how I was given homework and I am supposed to make sure he has fun tonight, feed him a good dinner, make sure he goes to bed early, to make him a healthy breakfast with protein. If only the boys homework always consisted of being spoiled by their mom!
Last night we had an incredibly fun evening with the kids. The girls were still sleeping when they got home from school and Ken is getting off of work at 3 pm too this week (it's so nice to have him home). As soon as Darin and Nathan got home from school we played another couple of hours of Axis and Allies (Ken started it with the boys on Saturday when they played for 4 hours). Here is Ken reading the rules yet again.

This is one happy military boy. Let's hope he concentrated on the TAKS instead of how our game of Axis and Allies is still waiting to be finished at home.

For dinner we made homemade pizzas (always one of their favs!)

Here is the sneaky boy who kept stealing handfuls of toppings. Like we wouldn't notice the sound of crunchy bacon:-)

Then it was off to Nathan's soccer practice. When we got home we had dessert. I made them the Chocolate Molten Cakes that they loved for the B&G except for GIANT size. They loved them!

"It's too much chocolate, I can't handle it anymore!"

The Pretty, Pretty Vultures

But I'm just so cute and innocent, it's only a crumb or two

I have my Daddy wrapped around me tiny little finger!

Can Mommy have a Kiss? Or maybe not
5 comments:
It looks like you guys had a really fun night. Your kids are so lucky to get such scrumptious desserts. Mine are lucky if they even get dessert. There's just no motivation when you're allergic to flour.
share the recipe please...my mouth is watering just thinking of molten cakes :)
What a fun time!! And I'm so glad to hear someone admit something good about the TAKS test!! :) I get tired of everyone hating it! :)
Yeah for you I am sure the boys did great how could they not. Same old ken always reading the rules lol. I am glad they had such fun. Cute pics
What fun. I agree, I want that recipe too. The food is making me hungry. . . and I just ate :)
Post a Comment