We are so thankful that we were able to make many fun memories together. Our vacation re-calibrated us as a family. We ended up closer and stronger then before. It wasn't always an easy trip, there were many unexpected surprises (good and bad). 95% of the time the kids had GREAT attitudes. I am super thankful for that. Seriously, after how well behaved they were I don't think I can feel put-upon when they have bad attitudes until Christmas--they banked that many brownie points!!!
It was soooooo nice to not have everyday distractions or responsibilities. I was able to reflect on all the reasons I love my family!
Ken
He is my love! He is an easy man to love because he is always (ALWAYS) trying to serve our family. He works so hard to take care of us and make sure we are comfortable. Even though he has been stressed and working 14-15 hours days with his work projects and happenings the past two months he has really cared for us. And I love him for that! I know he has been so very tired and exhausted but he still makes sure to play with us, dance with the girls, teach the boys something, and stay up late listening to me talk.
Darin
He is the BEST Big Brother! He really is, he is so patient and loves to teach all the younger siblings how to do things. It takes quite a bit to annoy him. He is also super strong and loves being able to take care of things Ken would normally do.
Darin still wakes up before everyone in our family so there were a few times when he would wake-up and just do something that he knew we were planning on doing in the morning. He is super responsible and independent which came in quite handy on this trip.
Nathan
He is our nurturer. Nathan cares (deeply) about everyone's feelings. He is sensitive and picks up on just what everyone needs. Nathan is also the best playmate! He cracks up all the kids and does goofy things, probably because he is high energy all-the-time! (In a good way) I could always count on Nathan to entertain the girls wherever we were at.
Rose
She has an intensity about her that makes you know she means business. Rose is super smart and has a huge understanding of the world for a 3 year old, she is one strong little girl. I really, really fell in love with her on our vacation as her personality has grown.
On our vacation we experienced alot of joy in our relationship with Rose! She really blossomed and come our of her shell (literally she was NOT wrapped around my legs 24/7) Rose has been very proud of all the things she teaches Ginger (and we are happy with most of it too:-). She totally believes it is her DUTY to do chores and is always asking me if she can help, it's totally awesome!
Ginger
Ginger is almost always smiley and bouncy. She has a sparkle in her eye most of the time too. Probably because she is normally getting into things or running around all crazy. On our vacation she learned how to say "I love you, Dad!" and "I LIKE you, Mom!" It's always followed by whoevers name. It is sooooo cute!!! She also has gotten very good at holding hands while crossing the street, kind of a necessity when we are out and about every single day.
She is also so very cute when she gets time-outs, which one day I am hoping will work:-) She knows she is in trouble, will say sorry, and go sit in her time-out folding her arms and kicking her legs back and forth. It's actually really a problem and I can't stay and watch her because she is adorable. She has just the right amount of humility along with mischeviousness.
Me
That's right! I fell in love with myself on this vacation. At the end of the school year I was feeling pretty exhausted. I was very down on myself, it seemed like everywhere I looked I saw strong, woman who can do anything and everything. This isn't anything new I have always had ladies in my wards or friends and family like that, but this was the first time where I felt lost because of it. They keep their homes spotless, are dressed flawlessly, have great children, serve others endlessly, exercise everyday and don't sweat (seriously, jealous), etc. And it was even worse because they face much harder challenges then I could ever dream of handling like sickness, job losses, special-need children, etc.
Anyway, on vacation I remembered all the things I have to offer too. I feel back like my normal self where I can appreciate everyone else's talents. But be very happy and comfortable with myself. Like how I am totally relaxed, it doesn't bother me if 20 kids come over and make a huge mess. Things like that...I'm not going to list everything out because it's really just an internal compliment to myself. But, I remembered why I love being me! And that is ALWAYS a good thing!
5 comments:
What a wonderful blog post! I love how positive you are and how much you see everyone's strengths, especially your own. You left out that you are a very, very kind person who doesn't hold a grudge and always looks for the best in others no matter what... you are also an awesome chef and baker who shares your talents freely with others, you always look for ways to serve others and lighten their load and you put your family before everything else (just as it should be!).
I seriously love that you are so positive, what a great record for your family when they read this when they are older!
You have such beautiful children. And Stephanie, I have always admired you! In particular that ability of yours (that you mentioned) to have 20 kids at your house all making a huge mess and you're totally relaxed. I miss, miss, miss, your super fun kid parties. You are an amazing person that I have always looked up to.
Who do you know whose house is always spotless and exercises everyday? I need some tips. (J/K). It was fun to read your blog posts about your family's adventures. I'm glad I am not the only one who has ups and downs when traveling (just got back from flying with 4 small children and haven't had time to post about it yet). But, I agree with you that it is worth it to make fun memories for the kids, connect as a family, and rejuvenate oneself.
I have to 2nd Lauren's comment. You may feel like everyone else is awesome, but I always thought that about you!! The parties you would have with the kids in the neighborhood were so fun! You are an awesome cook, and you were always smiling! I'm glad you are happy with yourself again. I think we all compare ourselves too much and then we forget how great we all are.
What a great post and I am so happy that you feel like yourself again,, and that you realize how awesome you are and how much you do for others. Like cleaning my fridge and stocking my house full of food and then having dinner ready when we got back from vacation and to have a clean house to. what an awesome friend you are and I am so lucky to have you as my best friend for ever and ever. i love you babe. Wish you lived closer I miss you tons.
Post a Comment