Thursday, August 13, 2009

We'll just 180 That... (Day 22)

Today was our last day in California! I can't believe we just spent 3 weeks playing around in CA, it flew by soooooo fast.

Since we kept pushing off the MOST AWESOME Museum in the Bay Area if not the World (The Exploratorium) Today was the BIG DAY!

We were so excited and wanted to spend the maximum amount of time in the museum. The boys and I packed up everything the night before. Seriously, 8 hours is not enough time to spend at the Exploratorium, even with a 18 month old and a 3 year old in tow. We love that place!

Well, fast forward to the morning. The final packing of the car took much longer then I expected so we checked out later then I thought, but we would still have 6 hours at the museum before Ken got off work.

And then Ginger threw up in the car as we were driving into San Francisco. It wasn't just a little spit-up. It was a massive amount of curdled milk and cereal. And it got everywhere, she thoroughly drenched her entire car seat.

By the time I got her calmed down and semi-cleaned up another hour had gone by. Unfortunately it was clear I would have to wash and dry her car seat fabric before we left on a two day drive across the country. So, NO Exploratorium for us. The boys were super good sports about it (I wondered how I was blessed with such Heavenly Creatures). They were much more concerned for Ginger's well-being and were worried she may be sick our whole drive home.

We 180'd and drove back to San Mateo, started our laundry, and then walked over to the 7-11 and bought Slurpee's to go with our lunch. That made up for some, because the Palace of Fine Arts is gorgeous to have a picnic at but they don't sell slurpees!

Here is our Ginger Girl

She was feeling some better, but pretty subdued for how happy and bouncy she normal is.

Could her eyes be any Bigger?


For Lunch we had fresh bakery rolls with Havarti Cheese and thought about our Lola and how much we missed her. Sometimes Lola brings over Hot French Bread and Havarati Cheese on her way home from work. Of course, she normally has impeccable timing and it is a night when I haven't fixed anything for dinner and the kids are starving.

This is Rose eating her cheese. Rose LOVES cheese. She would eat a block of cheese straight from the wrapper.

After our laundry was done we were going to go to a local park and play while we waited for Ken.

Of course as soon as I drove up to the park and Rose saw the slides (which she loves) I received a call from Ken saying he was done for the day and just wanted to leave, he could work on the road. Ken had, had it with being in the office. Not like there is anything wrong with working at his company's offices, he just really, really loves his office at home.

So we 180'd again and picked Ken up from work. It was nice to get on the road a little bit before traffic began. Texas here we come!

That is until 5:43 pm (the timing is very important because I told Ken this would happen at 5:30 pm, and I love it that I totally called it:-) Anyway, at 5:43 pm when we were 90 minutes outside of San Jose and Ken received a very interesting phonecall. It was a job offer with a different part of his company. He actually got an offer 10 days before (that was Earthquake Day) except without the $$$ part, and really how can you evaluate whether you want to take a job without knowing how much you will get paid. I mean-- he loves his job, the technology he works on, and his company. Like LOVES LOVES! But he is still all about the bank! (Thank goodness...6 hungry mouths to feed and all that) Anyway as part of accepting this new job he needed to attend the Sales Conference in Las Vegas that started the very next Monday.

So we had three choices:
1. Drive home as planned and Ken would fly out to Vegas less then 24 hours after we arrived home.
2. Drive directly to Vegas and hang out there for a week.
3. 180 and drive to Reno, Salt Lake (have Ken fly out to Vegas on Monday), then drive out to Vegas on Thursday and pick him up before we went home.

So you can guess what we did, #3. We 180'd drove back to the Bay Area and made it to my Aunt's house in Reno at 2:30 am. Poor Ginger threw-up while we were driving in the Sierra Mountains a couple of times. I think she gets pretty carsick in the mountains.

Anyway, that was our day. It was full of unexpected turns every which way we went but our family is good, the kids just rolled with it all.

1 comment:

Ken said...

I so could not believe that day. You were totally right that I would get a call around the time we were leaving to go back to Texas to divert us to Las Vegas for work. I am so glad that you are so supportive.

Our lives seem to get more interesting and wild each year as we strive to better take care of our family and enjoy our time on earth. I couldn't wish for a better partner or family to do this with!