Thursday, November 5, 2009

How do you Spell...I LUV U

How do you Spell...I LUV U ??? If you ask me it would be ABC!

As in "I Love You" so I will stay up until 2 am helping you make ABC books for our daughter's preschool group. And, I will make you laugh and laugh as I glue psychedelic letters onto cardstock, cracking jokes about how Mormons really know how to party by preparing for preschool. Yes, it was VERY, VERY Late!

TA-DA they are finished. This is one of my very favorite parts of doing a preschool group. Each letter has a page and we keep the books in the preschool box that goes from house to house. Each week the kids get to glue objects onto the letter they learn that week and take it home to add to their book. By the end of the year they have a 3-d ABC book. My boys have ALWAYS loved this. And I just have to say "I Luv Ya" to the ladies who barely knew me and invited me to be in their preschool groups and introduced me to ABC Books 8 years ago!

This is my 7th year doing a preschool group so I pretty much have this lesson plan perfected. I only wish it was that way for the other 10 times I have to teach. But this is my favorite. The Letter is A, the theme is Animals and Apples. After circle time we read books about Animals. Then we act out The Little Red Hen "Who will help me grind the wheat? Not I, said the..." I'm the Hen and they get to choose their animal puppets.

This leads perfectly into another one of my favorite parts of preschool groups; cooking with the children. I love cooking and it is so much fun to share that with the girls. This year Rose is in a little group with two other girls. It's been so much fun. This is from our first day.

The girls peeling apples.



Adding the dry ingredients.




Don't forget to stir with a smile! Actually this little cutie does everything with a smile. This is Aubrey.

Or you could be Ultra-Serious like these two. Rose and Kaylee were a little bit timid on the first day of preschool but they have really gotten into it now.

Isn't Rose just so dainty and feminine??? At least she looks like it when she cooks:-)


This is Kaylee. She is super sweet!

Okay, time to get serious about this mixing business. Gotta Stand Up!
I am a big believer in having the kids get hands-on and messy. These little girls worked pretty hard and had a ton of fun doing it.

Mmmm, Looks Yummy!

If you haven't guessed yet, they made Apple Bread

Here are my Little Chefs!

While the bread was baking we played a game of Simon Says. They loved it so much. It's not a strict Simon Says, because for them jumping to the right colored apple is a pretty big deal so the tricking them with Simon saying or not saying doesn't work. Basically Simon Says either a colored apple to stand on or an action to do. We played it for about 20 minutes straight because they loved it so much. I was completely winded between talking most of the time and trying to come up with fun actions for them to do and moving all around.





Ginger loves when Rose has preschool at our house. Basically because she gets to have preschool too. She participates in most of the activities and insists on dragging out her own towel for circle time too. It's not enough for her to participate in circle time she has to have a towel like the other girls!



After Simon Says we painted with Watercolors. They love painting!



I love to see Rose smile so Big at preschool! She is loving it this year. Last year we tried but I think she was just too young. But this year it is just the perfect amount of being with Mommy and going over to friends homes.

Here is the first letter page to go into their ABC Letter Books!
I hope Rose will know how much "We Love Her!" I love being able to be involved and participate. I say "We" because Ken helps me alot so I can do this for our children whether it is helping me prepare the night before or by visiting for a bit and reading stories to the children. He did that with the boys even though he didn't work from home at the time, he would just come home for an hour or so when he knew I was teaching. And all the kids loved it! I love that he shows our children how important their education is to him.

I am not a fan of paying for preschool on a multitude of levels. They are just too young to be away from me! I feel like 5 years is too short of time to build a really close bond with them, to get to know them, or even have anyone around them who doesn't realize how special they are.

I am totally serious about that last part. They are going to be judged so hard, even in just their elementary school years, that I really feel like they need to be especially protected and build their confidence around people who are extremely encouraging and supportive. I love the moms that have been in my past groups and this group. They are amazing women and they share their special talents with my children and I am so thankful for that!!!

3 comments:

Moo said...

It seems like you are having just as much fun at preschool as Rose is!

Jamie and Lindsey said...

So much fun! I want to go to your preschool too! I have to agree it's nice to have a preschool group, although I wish ours was smaller like yours. Eight kids is a lot, especially when most of them are excited boys:)
You're such an awesome mommy.
I am sure Rose knows exactly how much you lover her!

Hugs from mom said...

I'm so glad you're still doing preschool groups. You always did such a great job. I really miss being able to do it with you.

I've done it with each of my kids too. This is actually my last year since Austin will do a "formal" preschool next year for his last year before kindergarten. It's kind of a shock. I wonder what I'll do next year?