Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Why Don't They Just Rip Out My Heart

This is unbelievable. We left our home today at 7:18 am to take the boys to their First Day of School. I felt like we were running late because everybody knows the First Day of School is total craziness and it takes 3 times longer then normal to drop off the kids.

Except this year, the year that I needed to have the 30 minutes of idling in a traffic jam to say goodbye. Really, it's my fault because I used the drop off line that only "in the know" parents know about at the elementary school. You know the special line they open up after all the buses leave. Really our school does do this, it's not a rule bending thing at all. I didn't even come to a complete stop before a teacher started opening the door to whisk Nathan away from me. Apparently, the big squeeze I managed to give him was a little too long so the teacher said "Have a Nice Day! Time to get to Class!" And poof my big 5th grader dashed away. He just dashed off, confident, happy, not really even anxious about anything. Like it was no big deal.

I burst into tears as I drove away. Crying because school has to start and I'm going to miss him. Crying over Nathan attending school by himself for the first time, it's ridiculous since he is in 5th grade and totally a pro. But he's by himself without a big brother, and I realized how much comfort that used to give me that they were in pairs.

Next stop was Middle School. It's about 3 miles away from the elementary and across some pretty big intersections so it gave me some time to compose myself, and Darin tried to comfort me a little. Except then we drove past the first elementary school the boys attended in Texas (it's right by the MS) and I remembered my boys when they were in Kinder and 1st grade and they would hop out of the car and Darin would grab his little brother's hand and lead him into the school. So that just brought on a fresh wave of tears.

Surely Darin's school would take forever to drop him off. His Middle School has more students then attended my High School. It's huge! Except, I'm driving in with the perspective of an Elementary School Mommy where most parents still see them off to school. It became quite apparent that "mommies" probably don't take their teenagers to school. Because that is what they looked like, big teenagers. There were only a couple of cars dropping off kids, and then about 60 teenagers just standing around and glaring as they waited for friends. I literally shrunk about 5 inches in my driver seat, because I am just a pathetic crying mommy who can't get a grip.

I asked Darin if I even get a hug, I felt pretty darn uncomfortable with them all just looking at us and I didn't want to ruin his rep for the next 3 years. He was sweet and gave me a quick peck on the cheek and hopped out super fast. Darin, of course, disappeared into the building, because he doesn't have the "Middle School" Tude yet. He still comes from where you go inside immediately and wait for your teacher to take you to class. But he was pretty confident, way more then I felt, and he knows exactly where to go and what to do. I just hope he has a good day today!

So, there it is. My boys are at school and summer has ended. It only took me 22 minutes round trip to drive to two different schools and about a total of 13 miles. It happened way too fast and I feel miserable. And of course, Ken's on a plane right now. He took off right in the middle of the drop off so I haven't even been able to cry with him about it. And I didn't even have time to take their pictures! Rose has been complaining the last 30 minutes that she wants her brothers. Ginger is not! She is more then happy they are off to school. At least I have Rose to cry with because we DO "Miss our Brother Boys!"

3 comments:

Natasha said...

aww Steph it will be OK don't worry about it to much they are big strong boys and you have taught them to be independent its OK you should have called me I would have been here for you in a heart beat love ya babe hope tomorrow goes a little better for you

Jules said...

Oh, that is such a rough morning! I can't believe you have a middle school kid now and that Nathan is in 5th grade!!! I still think of these boys as little boys (although I just bought Seth size 8 shoes so I guess they aren't that little). Enjoy your time with the girls!

Jamie and Lindsey said...

This story could totally be me. I know exactly how you feel! It's so hard to let go and let them grow up. I am taking Preston to Kindergarten at a school by himself because the other 2 didn't get in yet (they are on the waiting list). So Preston's first day of school ever, he's going to go alone. I am already sad and scared for him and school doesn't start for another 5 days. But he's the kind of kid that probably wont look back as I leave. He's pretty tough and that gives me a little bit of comfort.
Let us know how their day went (and yours too). Love ya!