The very first Museum our kids wanted to see in Washington DC was the Air and Space Museum. Unfortunately the first time we went there in June they ended up closing shortly after we arrived. The great thing that I love about all the Smithsonian Museum's is that you don't have to pay an entrance fee. Of course I got suckered into taking them to IMAX movies at each of the museum and they also collected tokens (like a little coin) from each museum for $1 a piece. They all had different pictures on them for the different museums.
Anyway, the kids wanted a fun day so I gave it to them. We spent most of our day here and still didn't see everything. As usual. This museum is very hands on. It is the Air and Space museum that is near the White House and the Mall, not the one that is by the airport (we also went to that one but that is for another post)
Playing around with all the exhibits.
This museum is pretty large too, with multiple levels and lots of seperate section that focus on one thing like sound, or aerodynamics, etc.
We even attended a class on how to build paper airplanes. Along with a contest afterwards.
Rose throwing hers, she made it through the first round.
Cute little Ginger with her airplane.
All of them lining up for the next round.
Nathan made it through the 2nd round but not the 3rd.
Darin was one of the finalists.
And he won! He won an IMAX ticket.
He was super happy!
Just in time for our Daddy to join us! Ken got off work around 2pm this day and met up with us in the city. Everything is better when he is with us!
Since we had gotten him into the city the kids wanted to take him to their favorite escalator. It is by the National Zoo. It took awhile to get there but Ken was very impressed with how well we navigate the Subway system, our children really are pros! Ginger will even tell us to stand to the right.
Here we are going up. It's very steep and about 4 stories high. You can't even see the light at the top from the bottom.
About half way up looking back down. See how cray steep.
Starting to come down.
Going down. Boy was I glad that Ken was in front. It's super scary when I was doing it with the kids by myself. I had visions of them knocking another one of down, or tripping and tumbling all the way down and breaking their neck.
Ken indulged the kids with another ride up and down. I stayed firmly at the bottom. Experiencing this twice in my life was more then enough for me.
The kids were thrilled though. Don't you love how Rose and Ginger wore their backpacks all day. Ken surprised them the day before and they insisted on carting our lunch and supplies all around. Man, it's nice when the girls carry their own weight:)
We rode the subway quite a bit because I bought discounted tickets for the week. Basically it was unlimited rides as long as we didn't leave before 9:30 am each day, which was no problem for me. By the time I got the dressed, fed, and out the door it was always time to ride. It also helped that Ginger was free. On our second trip to DC the guy at the station wouldn't even sell me a ticket for Rose even though we all told him she was 5. He told us just to get on and not to worry about paying for a weekly pass for her. We saw him pretty much every morning at his window and he always waved to us. The people in DC were so friendly all the time, I'm going to miss this place.
Waiting for our train.
That night we took the kids swimming and then we dived into a carton of ice cream. It was a super fun day and I'm grateful that no matter where we are that our family always has a good time playing around!
Man, I love those kids. School starts in a few weeks and I will miss them like crazy! Especially Rose, I'm not ready for her to start kindergarten. I'm not sure if she is ready for kinder yet either. We have been practicing her letters everyday on vacation but it is slow going.
No comments:
Post a Comment