I read a book about love letters from Mount Vernon, I can't remember the name. It was basically a compilation of letters between George Washington with a historical timeline. Even though I read it years ago it still struck me and I have always wanted to see Mount Vernon.
We got stuck in the parking lot for a little bit because the squirrels we extremely friendly.
Mount Vernon is on 50 acres of land (it used to be on several thousands) with multiple buildings and museums. You could easily spend 10-12 hours here. Sadly I only planned on about 5, if Ken and I ever make it back by ourselves this will be one of the first places I will take him too.
Our dear friends George and Martha. Did you know that George Washington never fathered any of his own children? Martha was a widow and he raised her children.
The boys went into a 20 minute film about the Revolutionary War. They had signs outside saying out it could be considered frightening to young children, I love when museums give you warnings like that. I ended up staying in the lobby with the girls. There was a replica of Mount Vernon to amuse us girls. Such cute tiny furniture.
We decided to go to Mount Vernon first. The walk was really beautiful. I just love this part of the country.
There are so many trees and everything is so green even though it is the end of summer.
The view looking from the entrance of the building onto the rolling hills.
The other side of the Mansion overlooks the Potomac.
Something interesting that we learned is that the house is actually built of wood that is beveled to look like stone. Then they do a fancy sanding and painting method where they adhere sand to the wood and painted it white. Apparently this was George's idea. Here's a picture of Darin
In the courtyard we were able to see all sorts of little working rooms for the mansion. I think this was the kitchen, it's very close to the house but on the side just in front.Carriage house.
No comments:
Post a Comment