Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Automotive museum

For the 2nd day of visiting Balboa Park we took public transportation. We live an area that is not condusive to riding much public transportation so I like to take every opportunity on vacation to teach my children how to map out and get from point A to point B. This will be a really valuable skill as they go to college, go on missions, or possibly live in a city. While we raise them in the burbs, I desperately hope one of them will try out living in a big city for at least a couple of years so that we can make frequent trips:-)

In San Diego we walked 2 blocks to the Trolley Station, hopped on a bus to Balboa Park, then walked to the Park tram. All to go to the Automotive museum, which struck me as kind of funny.
I loved this purple climbing bush/vine.
It turned out that the purple flowers were actually leaves. Which makes me love it even more. I wish I knew what it was called and if it could survive in Texas.

Making frowny faces on the trolley.

At least me and Nathan were smiley:-)
Darin was really cracking up the girls by begging them to cover his mouth.

He would pretend to chomp their hand and lick them which is kind of gross. But they had fun.
Clearly I teach my children to be model citizens:-)
By the time we made it to the park (did I mention we walked around a whole city block to find the transfer bus stations?) We stopped at the fountain and had lunch.
Cooled off a little bit too.
I love Balboa Park, I think it is just beautiful! We actually were going to go to another museum but the power was out at a bunch of them for the afternoon.
The museum was alot smaller then we expected. But it had a bunch of cool cars that the boys loved so we can't complain.






The Back to the Future car.

On the Balboa Park Tram.

What a bunch of cute kids. I LOVED hanging out with them all summer.
On the bus. Our ride home had a few hiccups. We made it to the bus okay, but then on the trolley we missed our stop, ended up having to ride to the end of the line because the other stops were closed. Then we got off too early so we had to walk. We thought we saw our hotel just a few blocks away, but turns out it wasn't our hotel. So another 4 or 5 blocks and we finally made it to the hotel. It was a fun adventure and everyone was in really high spirits!

No comments: