We had a crazy insane start to our vacation--of course! We only decided to go to California all of 2 days before, Ken was out of town (in San Francisco actually presenting at the RSA conference.) He got home at 1am Saturday Morning. In addition to unpacking and re-packing and getting some sleep in the next twelve hours we were busy...Ginger had a birthday party to attend for two of her good friends from preschool, Darin had a KickStart Competition, and Nathan had a soccer game. I had a Stake Baptism that I really wanted to attend because one of my counselor's sons was being baptized along with some other really good friends, but we just could not squeeze anything else into our limited time before leaving. I often wonder if we subconsciously make it so hectic before vacations so that we will enjoy them that much more-- it's always craziness!
We left Austin around 4 pm. We decided to drive straight through, mainly because this was the only way to get Ken back to San Francisco for yet another conference he had to present at. I remember there was once a time when Ken would have said he hated public speaking and now it seems like that is all anyone ever wants him to do. Actually he feels pretty honored now to do it, especially this one because all of the architects and leaders from all of the Security companies HP bought were meeting together to share their knowledge and look towards the future, so that was pretty exciting for him to be chosen. He also had a pretty high-profile spot in the conference. I'm really proud of him and glad that we went along to provide what support we could in person.
We stopped at a rest stop for dinner and to stretch our legs. We have stopped here before when we drive out to CA. I remember because our kids did the same thing again and climbed up on top of the shelters.
Since Nathan was already up top, Darin helped the girls from the bottom.The conquered it!
I'm the King of the World!
It's awesome driving straight through. Since we leave late afternoon it gives the kids about 6 or so hours until they fall asleep. Then when they wake-up it is just about another 8-10 hours. Ken and I switch off in 3-4 hour shifts. Although this time Ken drove more through the night and let me sleep. He starts thinking through work problems and that keeps him awake, it also gives him more time to explore problems and delve into things he is planning. Given that most of his job is thinking (when he isn't speaking) it's a really good thing when he has long stretches like that.
When it's my turn to drive I like to listen to Broadway Musicals or to books. It makes it go by super fast.
By the morning we needed our windows washed super bad. Rose was very happy to help her Dad out with that!
We stretch our legs, clean ourselves up and brush our teeth in a McDonald's bathroom around 9 or 10 am. Then we are good to go for another 4 or so hours. We like to find a rest stop to eat lunch, go to the bathroom, and play a round of kickball or soccer. I always pack a ball on long drives because it is the easiest way to get everyone active and running around. Even though they don't feel like they need to run, they really do. It gets all the grumpy's out of everyone and they are excited to go back to watching movies or playing games in the car.
















No comments:
Post a Comment