Thursday, November 5, 2015

Update on Nathan's Broken Foot

We hoped that Nathan would be able to walk on his boot after three weeks.  Unfortunately it became quickly apparent that wasn't going to be the case after we saw the Orthopedist.  Nathan has a Jones fracture, basically the break is in between two areas where blood flows but doesn't cross over it.  Low blood flow means it will take forever to heal:(
 I was able to rent him a medical scooter a few days after he broke his foot.  Nathan only had to go one day at school with crutches.  He tried to tell us he would just use his crutches, mainly because I think he felt badly that playing a game with his friends was costing us so much money.  But, I used my mother's prerogative and got the scooter all lined up.  He was super grateful that he got to use a scooter after that one day on crutches.
 The scooter means that he has more freedom to move around, he can do chores again (thank goodness!), and unloading the groceries is way easier for Nathan then it is for people with two functional feet and legs.

 I took Nathan in to get x-ray'd to see if he was healing enough that he could put weight on his foot.  We knew it could be a very long road and possibly require surgery to heal Nathan's foot but he was pretty disappointed when the doctor told him he had to keep his weight off of it for another three weeks.

To cheer him up Rose decided to help me make him a special dinner.  She was home from school because she wasn't feeling that great.
 We decided to make all sorts of bone food.  Pretzels, Marshmallow, and White Chocolate make a pretty good skeleton bone.
 I also made breadsticks shaped like a bone.

 And of course his favorite Chicken Wings.
 Nathan was pretty surprised at his special meal.
 Maybe not quite as amused as I was.  He decided to snap the skeleton bones.
 Darin photobombing.  I sure do hope that my boy heals quicker then normal.  He has been a good sport but I am getting kind of tired of cleaning wheel marks off the tile, or touching up scraped on my cabines.
 It was such a crazy, busy day and I ended up cooking his favorite meal only to go to a birthday dinner in honor of my friend Kim. 

No comments: