Here are a couple of my very favorite pictures of the night!
This isn't where we had the Blue and Gold. This is just us partying after we got home from the Blue and Gold Banquet. We didn't even unload the car, we grabbed our forks and dove straight into the cake as we re-capped the night. The boys loved the whole night!
Then we headed to our bedroom and stayed up even later as the boys gave me tons of cuddles and kisses! They just kept talking to us as they told us everything they love about being a Cub Scout, their friends, and about being sooooo grown-up (their words, not mine).
Moments like these make doing all the hardwork totally worth it!!! And it makes me happy to feel like we are well on our way to having kids that will come home all excited from dances or dates and gush about their night to us. Which is totally one of our dreams as parents.
Here's a round-up of the Banquet:
First off, I had an awesome amount of help from all of the Cub Mom's! It was fun putting it on with all of my boys' friend's moms.
Here's a list of all the prep work they did:
* 7 wonderful moms came over to my house for a lasagna making party. We made 15 lasagnes in a record amount of time (1 1/2 hours).
* They also divided them up and froze them until the Blue and Gold Banquet.
* Kathleen made up our poem for the invite. I'm still amazed!.
* I printed it off and wrote the "secret" meeting time and location in invisible ink. I got way more response (like people RSVP'ing) from this invite then any I have ever done in the past.
* Moms donated a ton of candy and toys for the pinata.
* My Mom bought the huge Dragon Pinata for us. Let's just say she really loves her grandsons because that sucker was heavy and the size of a kindergartner (not a small one either:-)
* 6 mom's helped me set-up for the Blue and Gold and decorate!
* Lots of moms brought garlic bread
I am glad it was planned and set-up for way ahead of time. I actually was able to take it pretty easy most of the night after I got the food ready to be served. I was super grateful my parents came so they could help us out and watch Rose and Ginger before it started and during the banquet.
The main bummer of the night was that the fog machine didn't work. But it was okay because the room was so packed with people and tables. We had over 100 people show up. Including 24 Cub Scouts. The food turned out pretty good (especially for a kid event) and I saw lots of people going back for seconds. There were only 3 of my molten cakes left at the end (We made 150). Ken was really proud of all the Cub Scouts. They did an excellent job serving everyone their food and clearing the tables after. I'm so proud to be married to a man who thinks of stuff like that!
The boys did a good job on their skits. They were pretty funny. Ken did one with the leaders, I don't think many people could hear all of them. But the boys loved seeing their dad in costume! Ginger was pretty unsure of Ken with his wig on. I just can't believe I talked him into it.
Unfortunately there weren't a ton of awards this time, but Ken is hoping to get that part going again now that they have started to combine packs. There was one boy who was getting his Arrow of Light and his Webelos, so that was really cool. The funny thing is that he is one of the first boys Ken has seen go through the whole Cub Scouts Program and when he started there were probably only 6 boys in the whole Pack. And at his Crossover Ceremony he had 24 boys to shake hands with before he crossed the Bridge.
I love all that boy ceremony stuff! They are so cute and it is such a Big, Big Deal for them. Darin got his Bear badge. Just in the nick of time too, he actually completed his last requirement the night before the Blue and Gold. Hopefully that will teach him not to lose his book halfway through the year. But I doubt it.
Here's a picture of me getting my Mother's Pin. I always think it is funny that I get a pin because Ken does almost all the work.
The Cake's this year were amazing! There were about 20 really great cakes! Unfortunately I didn't take a picture of Darin's. He made a dragon. Nathan wanted to make a castle and I had layered it and squared up the base of it. But then I had to leave for a meeting and left Nathan frosting it. When I got back the frosting had melted off and chunks were falling off of it. So for his we ended up buying petit fours and Nathan built a castle out of them. Not quite the same thing. But this was probably Darin's last Blue and Gold and I have 2 years to make it up to Nathan.
Here's a picture of the cake we bought. The boys just had to have it! And I'm glad they did, it was super yummy!
1 comment:
Looks like lots of fun!! Yummy cake too!!
Post a Comment