We took it easy at the hotel in the morning. We ate at the hotel's restaurant because they advertise kid's eat free. Which is great until all of your kids order hot chocolate and that isn't included and ends up being $12 which is the same price as the 2 adult meals we were paying for. That's always a nice gotcha! But it was a good breakfast and we enjoyed ourselves.
After we left Tucson we drove another 20 minutes and saw Ken's older brother Jeff and his daughter Shelby. Ty is on his mission in Australia and Jenny and Sam are on their own road trip to Alaska! The funny thing is that we booked our hotel in Tucson before it dawned on me that I should find out where Jeff and Jenny live. They just moved to Arizona earlier this year. It's nice we were so close and able to stop by and see them.
Rose and Ginger totally loved their dog. Rose even petted their lizard. Actually Rose felt very comfortable at their home. She is normally very stressed and anxious about new situations and people, it was really quite different. Her attitude on this trip as been extremely adventuresome and happy! I spent quite a bit of time preparing her for the new things that were going to happen, but I didn't really think it was sinking in.
Here is a picture of everyone with Jeff and Shelby. And Ken wonders why I call him the runt of his family:-)
It took us 7 hours to get to San Diego from Jeff's house. We made a couple of stops for gas and bathroom breaks. We stopped at a rest stop and cooked up some hot dogs and Elgin sausages for dinner. The kids loved running around it was a nice break but it was also 108 degrees outside!
The only bad thing about our trip so far is that when we were driving through the mountains on the way to San Diego Ginger threw up. Tt was windy and curvy with barely any shoulder to stop on. And she kept throwing up over and over again. We think she got extremely car sick. Finally I found a place where I could pull off and we were able to clean her up. The kids really pitched in handing Ken swim towels while I was driving. I'm glad he wasn't driving because I don't think I could have supported myself in a push up position while taking care of the baby for the 10 minutes or so it took me to find somewhere to pull-off.
Ginger recovered really fast as soon as we were stopped and she was out of her clothes. It's amazing how quickly she bounced back. It took the rest of us until she was pretty much asleep and we were on the road again to relax.
Being in such close quarters really makes Ken and I appreciate our family. Rose demanded to give Ginger a new diaper and wipes, and to make sure we were taking care of her sister. Nathan hopped out of the car and quickly helped his dad find all the supplies to clean up Ginger and her car seat. And Darin took care of Rose and passed things around. It was nice to feel like such a strong team! Let's hope the rest of our trip stays this way.
Anyway we are in San Diego now. I scored an awesome deal at a Marriott Residence Inn from Priceline. We got it for $80 total and the marriott site was going to charge us $200 plus tax. The room is pretty nice and new. The kids have all crashed and we are washing Ginger's car seat and clothes.
No comments:
Post a Comment