Friday, June 29, 2012

Darin and Cinnamon

On our vacation in Cancun I went to go order some ice cream cones and I had a hard time getting them because I didn't speak Spanish. When I was ordering I was saying colado instead of saying cono helado for ice cream cone. Finally a guy who spoke English and Spanish came and served as a translator. Sadly the people from Mexico knew both languages and I knew only one. So my dad decided to have me order everything in Cancun in Spanish the rest of our trip.It was very hard to live and speak in a country where you don't know the main and native language. This is a story of my second time ordering things.

It was a bright, sunny day. Today we were going to have french toast for breakfast. All was fine until the unthinkable happened. We were out of cinnamon! So me and my dad went down to a small shop to get some cinnamon for our french toast. My dad told me to say canela which is Spanish for cinnamon. When I asked for some cinnamon they they gave me a little baggy of something that looked like bark. I was confused until my dad told me that cinnamon wasn't always a powder. So we went back to our condo. At our condo I told mom our predicament and she gave us a solution.

To blend it!!!!
This is me and my dad blending the cinnamon.
This is me after blending all of the cinnamon. It was very fun to blend it.
By the end of our trip I could order lots of stuff in Spanish in Cancun, Mexico by myself, which my parents made me do.

Here is a link to translate english to spanish:
http://translate.google.com/#auto|es|

This blog is written by Darin T. for his Communications Merit Badge

No comments: