Here's a picture of me and Ken for our first morning walk on the beach! I am seriously happy with the progress I have made with my weight loss the past few months. I am really hoping I can keep it up while we are away.
Sadly, I spent way more time preparing for our vacation thinking of what food and cooking supplies I would bring rather than clothes. We checked 6 big luggages but only 3 of them were full of clothes:)Some of the key things were our pancake griddle, the apple slicer, ice cream scooper and potato peeler, protein powder, peanut butter powder, ranch dressing mix, and our favorite PB and pancake mix. Kind of random but essential things. Oh, I also brought two jelly roll pans. We've stayed in this condo often enough that I pretty much know what it is stocked with and what I need to make my life easier.
One thing I completely forgot was Stevia, which has been pretty crucial to me being mostly refined sugar free the past two months. Fortunately I was able to find some at Wal-Mart on our big shopping trip.
A few days after our arrival I went on a Seafood shopping trip with our Saudi neighbor, Riayd. We met them last summer and they are back again, this time right next door. He took me and my mom to Puerto Juarez which is out of the hotel zone to a seafood supplier.
Look at these amazing lobsters! They are huge, and pretty cheap. We bought 4 of these extra large tails from about $50
We also picked up some super fresh fish. These were the ones on ice, but we ended up getting the ones that were just off the boat and being filleted.
By these guys. Seriously, they were so fast at cleaning those fish.
Rose requested crab, so we got some small blue crabs for her.
Here's Rose watching my mom crack them open.
Faizah, the mom in our neighborly Saudi family keeps bringing us food. I don't know if a day goes by when she doesn't bring over some meat and rice, or spaghetti, cake for the kids, or coffee for my grandmother:)
One night before playing cards with us she braided Ginger's hair.
Ken and I had to print out some real estate papers so that we could list our house while we were gone. The night before we tried to sneak our way into a mid-priced hotel next door to the condo complex to use their business services. Apparently, we have learned nothing from Neal Caffrey on White Collar because the security guard totally caught us. So the next morning we went to the JW Marriott. I guess we just fit in better there because we walked into the business center without any problems and they let us make the copies we needed.
On the way home I convinced Ken to pick some cocoanuts off the tree lining the main road.
I was super helpful cracking jokes about him shimming up the cocoanut trees.Back at the condo we Youtubed how to crack a coconut with a spoon:) Very helpful information is we were ever stranded on a tropical island. Actually I used Ken's leatherman with a 3 inch blade.
Rose liked squeezing all the milk out of it.
Darin couldn't wait to open up the other on that Ken picked. He did a really good job cutting into it, it's super hard.
When we walked in with the coconuts after our morning walk everyone was teasing Ken about how he is lucky that my parents didn't need to bail him out of Mexican prison. With all the talk about prison Ginger ended up having a nightmare that night about her Daddy going to prison and she couldn't see him for forever. Oh my goodness, I feel bad about saying this, but she was super cute coming to our room in the middle of the night with huge heaving sobs about her Daddy being in prison. Ken ended up cuddling her all the rest of the night until the morning. Poor baby girl.
Who knows maybe tonight she will dream of her Dad being killed by a falling coconut since Darin only told us that 7 people die each year from random coconuts dropping from trees.
We've had a great time so far on vacation and I feel much more prepared to party now that we have all of our food supplies.
No comments:
Post a Comment