Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Beginning of our Trip- London


Here's an overview in case you missed it. Ken needed to go to London and Paris for work last week. Me and Ginger got to tag along. He ended up working more then we originally thought but we still had a ton of fun. Today some friends got together for my Birthday (thank you!) and I didn't really want to talk about a ton of the details on trip because I know you all read my blog anyways... So, sorry if you got the impression that I was sad the whole time, I really wasn't except for hearing about Rose being sick. I actually didn't realize the whole week had a tinge of sadness to it until we got home and I felt how much I really really fly when I'm with my family. But I was still flying high with Ken and it was a trip of a lifetime! I highly recommend going to Paris and getting away with your husband, even if you miss your kids.

We flew into London on Monday morning, the airplane ride went pretty well. Ginger hardly slept but she was an angel. An angel that only wanted her Mommy to hold her, but at the time I was just glad to have some time with her and Ken alone and was pretty giddy.

London was rainy most of the time, but it felt fabulous, it wasn't like huge boulders of rain like we have in Texas it was a drizzle. We checked into our hotel and then slept even though I friend said we shouldn't, I just couldn't stay awake any longer and I had a cold. So unfortunately we didn't get to sight-see a ton. We hoofed it on foot and took the Subway around. We saw Buckingham Palace and all around that area. It was a Banc holiday so no cars were on the street and hardly any tourists were out anywhere, so it felt like all of these huge London landmarks were just there for us to admire. And we admired every building, everywhere we walked was an amazing building. We couldn't get over the iron work, the stones, the gilding, etc. Yeah, so that was us our 1st day in Europe. By our last day in Paris, it was like, yeah that's nice but it didn't seem quite as amazing. By the last day we had definitely cut down on our picture taking. In London we took pictures of buildings because I just knew it had to be important because it is so beautiful so I was going to go home and read a book about it's history or google it, and now I just realized I hardly ever took any pictures of us at Versailles and that was truly an amazing building with a very exciting history behind it. Seems backwards huh!

Tuesday Ken had to work, we had the most delicious breakfast in bed. The English really know how to eat a breakfast! It was huge, it could have fed my family of 6 easily and my boys know how to eat. Before I forget, the hotel was really nice. We stayed at the Marriott by Harrod's and Kensington Palace. The rooms were pretty large compared to what we expected, it was about the size of a Las Vegas Hotel Room so smaller then your average room, but not super tiny. I loved the bathroom, I couldn't point out why and I should have taken a picture, Ken thinks it is because of the white tile up to the ceiling.

Anyway Ken left at 10:30am for his appt. and I thought "Oh I'll lay down and feed Ginger for a little bit and then go out and see some sights." We ended up sleeping until 3:30pm. By the time I showered, fed Ginger, and got packed it was 6pm, the time we had to check out. Thankfully Ken had arranged with the hotel for us to checkout at 6pm when he would be back from his meeting for only 20 pounds ($40). That was a smoking rate given the price of the hotel. I have to say that one thing I really really loved was being pampered by Ken with little thoughtful things like that on our trip.

After we checked out we got to ride in the Super Nanny car (taxi). And took the Eurostar to Paris. Because this whole thing was so last minute and we barely made it in time for the last train, we rode in 1st class. I think I could really get used to 1st class:-) We ended up in a car with 4 other people but we each had our own berth and table area. Our very best dinner was actually the train food, sad I know. We didn't think it would be at first because they served us our first course, but it had salad, rolls, fruit, cheeses, dessert, and chocolates. But then they brought us another and another, and it was really good.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Your trip sounds great! Isn't that "chunnel" train something else? And first class made it go even faster, I'm sure! I'm curious to find out what that unknown building in the picture is.