This year was a different story though. Unfortunately for Nathan they switched it to only being 5th graders and 3 were to be chosen from each class. And this year Darin had major competition from 6 girls in his Home Room.
The night before the election as I took him to get his haircut (he really wanted one before he gave his speech) Nathan and I asked him how popular the other kids were in the class. So Darin ranked them all. Darin felt like all of the girls except for one were more popular to him.
This made us pretty nervous...
Ken and I were able to make it to the speeches. No bias or anything, but his was pretty good. Rose and Ginger came along too, but they weren't very quiet and were such a big distraction. The kids liked them though!
The funny thing is that after the announcer said his name the whole cafeteria went "WhooHooo, Darin!" They did that for a few of the kids, but most of the other kids just got the standard round of applause. Ken was quite pleased with all the girls cheering for Darin.
And to Darin's surprise he made it onto Student Council!!!
Of course, he just tried to play it off when Ken and I picked him up from school. He was trying to make this whole sad face as me and his dad were anxiously asking him how it went. But the old librarian gave it away and said Congratulations!!!
We are so proud of him for coming up with his speech and trying out even though he didn't know if he would make it. And we are especially proud of all of his strategizing. He was thinking of all sorts of angles he could try to win people over.
4 comments:
Way to go Darin!
What a brave guy! I am glad he made it! You must be very proud of him.
I remember when we first started preschool and Darin didn't say a word for the first couple of months. Now he's giving speeches in front of the whole school? What happened to the shy boy I knew? Just goes to show you can't predict what a kid will be like when they're 3!
Congratulations Darin, that's awesome.
Post a Comment