So we check the evite out and realize it is the day after the day we planned, and this friend didn't invite any of the children that Nathan would be inviting to his. Nonetheless. I have a very sad boy. Instead of "Yeah, we are going to Main Event!" it's "I guess we could go to Main Event:-(" After a frustrating 40 minutes brainstorming about what he would like to do for his party it came down to
After he went to bed and I was calmer I remembered this is my son who is Blue (from the Color Code Personality Book). Which clearly Ken and I are so totally NOT Blue, so sometimes at key decision making moments like this his thought process make no sense to us. So I thought about, and thought about it, and realized what he wants and what he needs.
Because this birthday party is not just about hanging with his friends and having a good time. It is our opportunity to show Nathan how much we love him, that we have taken everything into account, to plan the perfect birthday party just for him. It has to be meaningful and Main Event lost that meaningful-ness when just any other friend was doing it that same exact weekend. Even though once upon a time it was a huge deal. But I realized that was all because of how I talked to him about how he loved Laser Tag, how we loved playing Laser Tag as a family there before, he reminded me of when I screamed that he would protect me, I spoke about how we have never had a birthday at Main Event and he would be the first to try it out, etc. So it had meant something to him at one point.
So, last night I found tons of ideas online for a Fear Factor Birthday Party. Which is perfect for him. I doubt he know what it is. And guess what, I'm not telling him:-) But I know he loves dares and challenges as most 10 year old boys do. This morning at breakfast I told him that he didn't get to choose his birthday anymore (something that would have made me cry) and that I had come up with a special party just for him and we are dropping off invites this afternoon. I told him it would be at our house and that he is going to LOVE it! And guess what, He already does!!! Seriously, it just kills me, Nathan knows nothing about it except that it is a party that he has never ever seen or been to and that Mom is planning it. He is bouncing off the walls and totally happy!
Anyway, give me your ideas because the only thing I FEAR is letting my wonderful boy down...
I wanted to have 10 challenges, so far this is what I have planned:
*Raisins in Jello so they look like bugs. They roll a dice to see how many they have to eat.
*Tasting plate: fish hearts (Cranberry Sauce), toenail clippings (Toasted Coconut), beaver intestines (slimy Chinese noodles), duck vomit (ketchup, mustard, relish), Dog Food (Cocoa Puffs)
*Pig Spleen Blow Up- Whip cream (died pink) pie tins with Bubble Gum pieces in the bottom. The have to dig in without their hands and then blow a bubble
*Save the snakes- Digging through a Swimming Pool filled with ice water and plastic snakes
*Finding the golden coins that are hidden in a aquarium filled with crickets and shredded paper towels
*Obstacle Course
*Battle with Swimming Noodles on a Balance Beam
I need some more ideas, so please help me out!
4 comments:
You could pick a food that isn't normally eaten. Something that sounds pretty gross but is actually pretty good. and make them each eat a small amount of it the quickest.
you might want to check sugardoodle, I remember people talking about doing it for youth activities
I just did a quick google search and saw a lot of good ideas. My favorites:
-Walking on glass (potato chips) blindfolded
-Eating poop (mix choc pudding and candy bar) out of a diaper
And you probably need some sort of race game. Maybe they start with a mouthful of "blood" (tomato juice), crawl to a cup and spit it out. Crawl back for another mouthful. The fullest cup when time runs out wins!
That sounds so fun! I am totally impressed by your creativity as always! I love Mias ideas. AWESOME! You are totally nice, they are all things that seems gross but are really yummy. If I was planning it, I would totally make the kids eat real gross stuff and they would all hate it and it wouldn't be fun at all. This way it will be just gross looking enough for it to be funny, but they'll love it. Smart smart.
Post a Comment