Thursday, August 7, 2008

California

We've been back from California for a week and it's been so busy I haven't had time to update our blog on what we did. It was sad for Ken to go back to working after we had him all day long in Cancun for the previous week and a half. Plus we have gotten really spoiled with him working from home, so when he goes into the office it feels like he is gone forever. But me and the kids did enjoy ourself while he was working. Not as much as last time. And we hung out at the hotel a little more which was fun in it's own ways.

Here's some of the things we did I've listed them from bad to good:

Monterey Bay Aquarium- The kids had fun, me not so much. It was a mad house in there with tons of people so I was stressed keeping track of them. Plus, a docent tried to take away Rose's drawing from her like 5 seconds after she colored it. What ensued was a frustrating conversation with an environmental conservationist who told me how kids usually drop the papers or throw them away and they would like us to recycle them. Ummm, yeah, she obviously does not breed! And by breed I mean she looks at me with disdain because I am a breeder who does not care about our earth being overcrowded. Seriously, what kind of person takes away a 2 year olds drawing??? After that episode I noticed the million little signs at most of the displays that were some kind of recycle or be kind to the environment sign and I just wanted to rip it from the wall and burn it! I refuse to even post any pictures of the aquarium, although I also didn't take any since we forgot the camera in the car:-)

Winchester Mystery House- The boys really wanted to go to the Mystery House. We went on a Saturday so Ken came with us. It was a very interesting tour to say the least. I did not expect that there would be 5 staircases with itty bitty steps that only rose 3 inches that all together climbed up one whole floor. That oddity was actually for practical reasons though because Mrs. Winchester had arthritis. On the whole it was depressing to see the house for Ken and I. It was such a waste for rooms that weren't very large or beautiful, and for someone who didn't ever entertain and lived alone (except for the servents). We liked the original part of the house much better. She boarded up the front of the house though because she felt spirits were trying to kill her because there was an earthquake. It was just sad to think someone lived like that.


Sonoma Train Town- This was a fun day, but they had a full color brochure talking about rides and all these other attractions. Plus they are 1/5 th the size of Disneyland! We got there and they had 6 different carnival type rides, carousel, mini roller-coaster, etc. And they did have a long train ride that wound around the property. We weren't impressed with the size. I'm thinking Disneyland must be smaller then I originally thought:-) We had fun though. Rose wanted to ride on everyride. Darin not so much. He actually isn't really into rides very much. At the last minute I talked him into going on a Ferris Wheel ride he thought he could ride with his brother, but the operator put him into his own chair. Then at the end of the ride the operator got everyone off the ride except for Darin, and he was stuck at the top just sitting there. We got him down about 5 minutes later, and couldn't help but tease him a little bit. After the Train Town we went to a park in Marin, it was so beautiful watching the sailboats. The park had a ton of deer grazing in the fields. We played tag with the kids on this huge lawn space. And Rummy too, that' a great tip for traveling with kids-- always keep a pack of cards in your purse!


Driving in California- Driving in California feels like home. I don't think people in Texas really appreciate the grace and beauty of 4 cars simultaneously merging into one freeway lane. In California they don't have to slow down to 25mph when Two traffic filled 3-lane highways merge into a single 4-lane highway, they do it at speeds of 55+ mph, you gotta love that! Not to mention no one would be brave enough to drive in the left lane on the freeway going 10 miles under the speedlimit, like they do all the time in Texas, ARRGHHH! Then the scenary is just beautiful, and there are hills and trees, and interesting buildings. It was so much fun! Especially driving in San Francisco and acting like I am so scared of the steep streets to make the boys would laugh. They love going down Lombard street and across the Golden Gate. And there is the bonus of that when I do get stuck in traffic I get to listen to my iPod. I did find a station that I love, it played dance music 24/7.


Exploratorium- This was the best day! We played, and I mean played because it is huge with a different hands on display every 5 feet. Anyway, we PLAYED around for 5 hours and still never made it to the top floor. After about 3 hours we made it to the mid-way point where it opens up into a cafe and there is a toddler fenced in area that the girls loved. I ended up staying in the toddler area after that with the girls while the boys explored the open area. Unfortunately we were kicked out because they were closing. It was cool. Nathan really loved the bubble exhibit, you could put yourself into a bubble. Darin loved all the gear and motion ones of course. And Rose loved all the sand ones. Ginger loved playing in the toddler area and not having to be held or in a stroller. As you can see Rose was really having fun, so much so that she let me take her picture with Ginger and was smiling (it's a rarity).


Visiting my Family in Reno- We haven't seen them for almost two years. They just loved Rose and Ginger. Here are pics of my Inang (grandma). Doesn't she look young?


Coyote Point Recreation Area- It's basically a large park a few miles from Ken's work, but you have to pay a parking fee. We absolutely loved this park. Ginger was about the only one who got burned out at the park. After 4 hours of playing I had to promise to take the kids back with their Dad when he got off work before we could leave. The kids also loved clmibing these dragon things. Ginger's favorite was the swings. Darin, Nathan, and Rose loved the huge 4-story slide. I was terrified the first time the boys took Rose up, but she loved it and kept insisting on going again. She has no fear.


Hanging at the Hotel- By far I think the very best part of being on vacation is not having any other responsibilities then to play with my kids. At least they were alot less, I didn't have to worry much about cleaning (except for a little because I would feel bad for the housekeeper that cleans up after us), cooking (I did make a few meals with my trusty little fondue pot that Ken's brother got us for Christmas one year--speghetti, fajitas, soup). But really the whole focus on this vacation was to just enjoy our time together. No computers, hardly any gameboys, no video games, etc. We stayed in and watched movies, played games, talked about nothing with the boys (but in reality it was important), and in general just messed around. We did go swimming a little bit, but the pool felt freezing compared to Cancun water so it wasn't as fun. Here are some movies of the kids messing around. Umm, maybe I should rethink what I listen to in the car with them. I had no idea they had these songs memorized. But then again I hate "kiddy music" with a passion. Although it was cute to see them satisfy my Mama Mia fix since I still haven't seen the movie. Which I am looking forward to because normally I hate it when they make Muscials into movies. Like Les Miserables- I think the movie of that was awful and didn't capture the hope and beauty that is in the stage production. Phantom of the Opera- I liked it more then I thought I would, but still it didn't have the same effect as actually having the huge chandelier come crashing down right over your head. But with Mama Mia the only thing I really loved about seeing the stage show was the music, so I am dying to see it!

"Play That Funky Music"

"She Bangs"

5 comments:

Reianna said...

It looks like the trip was a success. Although, anything after Cancun is going to be a little bit of a let down. What a bummer that Ken had to go back out of town so soon after you got back. I hope your week is going well with all the kids!

Lisa said...

It looks like you guys had a fabulous time! I totally got stressed reading your description of driving in CA. I remember when we'd go to Disneyland when I was little. My Dad would FREAK out about the CA drivers!

And the video at the end of the kids singing just cracked me up! I can't believe what a little girl Rose has become! Sometimes I look at James and I'm just like - WOW he's like a little person now. Those two just seem much older than they should be!!!! Weren't we both just pregnant at the blue and gold???

Reianna said...

Those videos are really cute! I must have posted my comment while you were editing your blog.

Natasha said...

cute pics looks like you had lots of fun I'm jelouse. Miss you

Jamie and Lindsey said...

So much fun! I think those 2 videos of the kids were great! I am glad you had such a good time.