Monday, August 4, 2008

The perfect start to the week

So, let me just tell you about today... We woke up early, got all the kids ready so we could take Ken to the airport (he's going to Las Vegas for 3 days to present at a conference). We dropped Ken off, I did major shopping at Wal-Mart with 6 kids who were pretty well behaved. The kids were wonderful when we got home and totally unpacked the groceries and everything. And it's only 11am, I'm thinking to myself "What a perfect beautiful day! I have the whole week of playing with the kids ahead of me. No other responsibilities, or obligations, right!" So they go outside and play in the sprinklers chasing each other and whatever. And then Nathan busts through the door saying, "Mom I'm bleeding, ALOT!"

The poor kid snapped a branch (on purpose) and ripped open his finger and sliced it up pretty good. He only got one stitch for it though, it was weird. It was totally jagged and squirting blood all over the place. Like actually squirting (sorry). For 10 minutes it wouldn't stop and I was getting very worried, but it finally did and then it swelled and it came out looking like a pretty clean slice when the Dr. finally saw him. Luckily my wonderful father came over and watched all the others so I could take Nathan to the Urgent Care.

Anyways, he is good now but No Swimming for a week. Which kind of sucks because we planned out our "Cousins Camp" (my sister's girls are visiting us) for the whole week and now there is No Swimming at our pool, No Swimming at Rockin River (community pool with slides and a lazy river), and No Swimming at Volente Beach (water park). We may still take them to the Volente Beach on Saturday, we'll have to see what the Dr. says.

So if you have some good ideas to do with kids in the middle of the hot summer that doesn't involve water, send them my way! Oh and did I mention the bowling we planned for today is also out because Nathan can't bowl like a pro, and they wrapped his finger up with so much gauze it is the size of a hot dog.

I just feel bad for him because he didn't cry about stitches or shots even though it killed him, but he cried in the car because he is sad that he is ruining all the fun we had planned. Seriously, it broke my heart. I told him, "Don't worry about it we can go to the Main Event or Dave and Busters, like whatever you want. We'll still have fun." Which all of those things are stuff that I said "NOPE, too expensive" too yesterday when the kids asked me, but now I would pretty much pay anything for him to feel better. At least my grocery shopping is done so I can cook up a storm for him.

6 comments:

Reianna said...

Poor Nathan! I can understand how he would feel like he was ruining all the fun. What a brave lady you are for taking all the kids to Walmart. Have fun cooking this week.

Reianna said...

PS- If it is only one stitch and it is on a finger I would go swimming anyway after a couple of days. If he gets a scar then at least it is somewhere that is a little less noticeable.

Anonymous said...

I'd triple bag the hand and tape it so it's water proof, and still do sprinklers. Or get the biggest disposable gloves and tape those on. But you know me and following the rules...

Natasha said...

I would still take him like reianna and lisa said. Since when have you ever followed the rules, if it scars then he'll have something to show his friends. No biggie have fun with all those kids you are brave.

Moo said...

So, you could still go bowling, just make rule that the older kids can only bowl with their left hand--no touching the ball with their right. Ask the kids to come up with things to do that Nathan could participate in. You could play one-handed basketball, ping-pong, or whatever. Make up silly rules for the games. That's the end of my creativity. It's morning.

Scrap Happy Mommy of 2 said...

poor guy! what a sensitive soul! Chuck e cheese is free if you don't buy food, and tokens aren't too bad either. usually you can get double for your money if you buy enough, and with 6 kids that would be easy! I'm with the others that say bag his hand and go swimming anyway!!! but sprinklers are another good option too... you're amazing, you'll figure it out!