Saturday, May 1, 2010

You Should Really Love Me

Yep, that's what I say to my kids or Ken when I do something extremely nice and terrific for them. Which would mean that on an average of 320+ days a year I sunnily offer up, "You should Really Love Me..." It's amazing how often I (yes, I) consider myself a hero/savior to my family.

Times like when I:
*Find their missing blue soccer sock
*When they are stressed about homework so I empty the dishwasher for them
*Help them reach something on the top shelf
*Buy their favorite lunch snacks at the store
*Drop off their lunch they forgot at home
*Drive them to pick-up their friends to play at our house
*Remind Ken about a work meeting
*Tell them they can play video games
*Haul in their stuff from the car
*Bring them a special snack to their after school club
*After I wash and fold a ton of laundry
*Make their favorite meal
*You get the picture, I pretty much say it all the time and wait for a token kiss. I am totally shameless in my self-promotion!

But, this day I certainly earned it. All because of this guy.

During Nathan's soccer game I saw all the boys on the sidelines standing around in a circle. Every once in awhile one of them would jump back. I figured they had found a frog or bug. But instead they found a craw-dad. Here in TX they call them Crayfish. It was the weirdest thing right out there in the middle of 10 soccer fields.

So out of the 10 boys on the team guess which mom took this little bugger home??? Yep, that would be me! And guess who was telling her son as she tried to shove the craw-dad into an empty gatorade bottle, "You should really love me!" No joke, even as I was fighting it and trying to push it's claws towards its body I was offering my famous lines.

Turns out I am way to chicken to mess with it's claws and slimy body. After a few attempts I dug around my overflowing suburban and found a storage container in Rose's preschool box. This was one very happy boy!
BTW- They should also really love me for all the lizards and frogs I have caught for them before. And for the fact that I always clean up and put away their aquarium tank so that way whenever they find some creepy crawly thing they can take it home and keep it for a few days or months.

No comments: