I used to say that every single morning dropping off Darin at elementary school! Seriously, every day from the time he was just a cute, little kindergartner until he was a big, huge 5th grader! This post is all about Darin's last few days of elementary school.

They had a graduation/awards ceremony. I have always loved to come to these with the girls. They run up to their brothers and hug them and kiss them. Darin is pretty sweet and always pulls them up on his lap.

Darin's talking to his principal. It's her last few days at this school too.

We don't look anything like- do we??? Darin's 5th grade teacher would tell me that we look exactly the same probably every other time I saw her.

There are the Awards Darin received:
Bulldog Pride- In my book this is the best AWARD! It's basically best citizenship, responsible, respectful, all that good stuff rolled into one!
Successfully Learning all 50 States and Capitals
Music Award
5th Grade Graduation
Dare
Meeting his Spring AR Goal
Certificate of Excellance
Safety Patrol
A-B Honor Roll I loved this award too. Not because he is on the Honor Roll because he has always been on it. In fact he has always earned All A Honor Roll. But I love this one because it totally taught him a lesson this year. He was out of school for something for a few days (probably because we went on a trip) and when he got back he turned in his make-up work just past the deadline. So on a huge packet of Social Studies work he was only able to earn a 70% because he turned it in a day after he was supposed to. I think it was an awesome lesson for him to learn and at a perfect age! Darin was pretty bummed that it messed up his grades and he wasn't able to graduate elementary with a Perfect, all A's record. See and in Ken and I's head we are thinking where in the world did our child come from??? Darin just recently asked me what my GPA was in High School-let's just say I avoided a direct answer:-)

All the Safety Patrol kids played Kickball against the teachers. Darin was so excited to play, so the girls and I ran over to the school to watch him play.

I just have to say that for a big kid who was days away from leaving elementary school, that he asked me to be there pretty much all day, every day for the last few days.

This is Nathan during the game. Nathan was not in the slightest bit attached. He wouldn't even sit by us during the game.

The teachers wiped the field with those 5th graders. I remember when I was in 5th grade that the teachers would let us win.

Rose couldn't take it that Nathan was 30 feet away so she tackled him.

Then she hung with Nathan and his buddies.

And Ginger hung out with me.

Seriously I am not kidding, Darin wanted me to witness his last of everything. Like this one is his last lunch in Elementary School. He begged me to bring him lunch. Like really begged me! I told him no, since I had witnessed pretty much every other last, down to his last PE class. And I had to take Nathan to a doctor appt, I had a camp meeting and school was getting out early.

I totally caved though. I still did everything that was scheduled and drove like a mad woman to make it in time for his lunch. Which guess what, they decided to skip and have lunch in their classrooms 20 minutes early while they played games. Thankfully, Darin was more interested in playing games and he was so, so, so happy I showed up.

Our school has a tradition that all the kids (Kinder-4th) line the hallways and cheer as the 5th graders walk down the main hall. They have balloon arches in the halls and play "Who Let the Dogs Out" because our mascot is Bulldogs.
It's a huge thing to the kids! Last year I was crying as the 5th graders danced their way out of the school and I didn't even have a 5th grader. But it's just this final end of the year moment where all these emotions wash over you.
So I was at school with Darin having lunch and I hear this is going to happen in like 20 minutes, which is the same time the flyer said. I even asked another PTO mom just to be sure. So I race home to get Nathan. He didn't go to school the last day because of his Dr. appt but he had called me on the phone and had asked me to take him back for this ceremony so he could see Darin. I raced home and back in under 15 minutes and guess what...
They did it right after I had left. I found my smiley son, standing off to the side trying to hide his tears. He was so upset that I had missed it. Talk about breaking my little mother's heart. I seriously had killed myself running all over the place to make it to everything Darin wanted me to see his last week of school and I missed the most pivotal moment.
So I had a good cry the last day of 5th grade, but just not for the reason I wanted to. Next time, I am showing up 30 minutes early and staying there.
This is Darin with his homeroom teacher Mrs. Schaeffer. He totally loved her! As did I!

This is Mrs. Clarkson and Darin. She taught him Math and Social Studies! She was a gem too.

This is their released balloons.
No comments:
Post a Comment