Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Backpacking Overnight

Ken took the Scouts on a REAL Campout. One that involved hiking in 2 1/2 miles to their primitive site. Here's my guys before...
And here they are from behind. I thought it was a miracle my boys could lift their packs, let alone hike with them. Thankfully, they have a mom who LOVES this type of camping! And is quite experienced at packing light, so just final moments before they left I rampaged through their packs and threw out a good 8 lbs of stuff. Seriously, who needs a pillow, extra clothes, potholders, or an extra blanket...just pack a towel. Hello, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy!
Here is the group of boys and fathers that went.
The boys told me that they took a picture of a tarantula. I'm not seeing it. But it made an impression on them because that is all they have talked about for months.
Random pictures of them setting up camp.




And of of course my big, tough, grown-up boy from the campout comes home and tries to get major sympathy from his Mommy over his scrapes. I asked Ken if he was complaining about it on the hike. The answer would be no, not even a mention! Ahh, the comforts of being home with a mommy to baby you:-)
The Sisters definitely loved playing around with all the camping gear, especially the camelbacks. Which I totally bought for my boys because they are so much cooler then the canteens that Ken used. I totally offered to buy Ken one too, but he insisted on keeping his trusty canteen.

1 comment:

Matt said...

Look like they had a lot of fun.