Unfortunately the boy who planned the Canoeing Merit Badge missed it. But it was great fun for the boys. Here they all are with their Dad's. We have awesome fathers in our ward too. Whenever Ken asks them to help everyone volunteers!
Instructions before the next requirement.
They rented 4 canoes for the 9 boys. It was just the perfect amount. They went out on a little man-made lake our city has. It was perfect, just a little wind that pushed them out. But all the other choices Ken researched were more in river-type of lakes so there would have been a current.
Plus, he figured it would be better to get all of the physical requirements done in one shot (meaning 5 hours:-) They had a couple of weeks of classroom learning and also had to fill out their paperwork before they got out on the water.
Off they go again. I must have seen each of them launch 3 or 4 times and I really only came up with Nathan and the girls to cook lunch for Ken's scouts.
This was actually one of the first pictures I took. Imagine my surprise when I show up at the lake to see a couple of the canoes turned over. Later I found out they had to capsize the boats, rescue boats, and a bunch of other stuff I don't really get. But basically they learned how to save themselves and other canoes.
This is the leader from the other ward of 11 year old boys who join us. I've barely talked to him, but I have to say I love this guy. He takes so much pressure off of Ken with these activities.
Darin LOVED the canoeing.
While I was finishing up setting up for lunch the girls and Nathan swam in the lake. It really is a fun little lake to play around in.
So, after they passed off all of their solo canoeing stuff. I guess they had to capsize it solo and get to shore too. Crazy! It is definitely a good thing mothers are not Scout leaders. I'm pretty bold, but I the thought of my baby sinking a boat in the middle of a lake, YIKES!
Anyway, Darin and his friend Jacob passed off all of their canoeing requirements. Darin had overheard Ken telling the other leaders that if the boys pass off all the Canoeing Requirements then they could canoe on their own.
Darin and Jacob took that to mean, totally on their own. Which is what I thought when I asked them too. So they launched themselves and were in the middle of the lake before I mentioned it to Ken. And he freaked because they were supposed to go with another canoe.
So much for him eating lunch:-)
Ken and another Dad hopped in a canoe and went out there for a little bit with them until they could convince the boys they should eat lunch.
Finally, he gets to take a break.
Darin and Jonathon. It was a really an awesome day. It looked like the boys had so much fun! And boy were they hungry when they came in for lunch.
After most of the boys and their dads left Ken took Nathan and the girls out for their ride. They loved it!
So the rest of these pictures are actually from the night before. Ken picked up the canoes the afternoon before his Canoeing Merit Badge because he had to leave the house at some ridiculously early hour to prepare, like 7 am or something.
Anyway, we took advantage of having the canoes and invited the Schorr's to come canoeing with us. This is one of Rose's best buds, Kaylee. She loves to play with her.
Unfortunately, poor Chava got seasick and they had to turn themselves around. So Chava and I hung out on the shore because I am not a boat person either.
Imagine my surprise when everyone comes in except Nathan and Brandon! Two 10 year old boys, like who's bright idea was that to put them alone in a boat??? Yeah, I was not that happy that my husband lost my baby boy out on a lake. Turns out they had run aground around a bend and couldn't get out of the current so they had to carry the canoe back to us. That was a huge sigh of relief!
1 comment:
K - after this weather recently, it's hard to look at those pictures of your girls in the lake without a huge BRRRR! But that's the special thing about where we live. HOT one minute and freezing cold the next! ;-)
Post a Comment