Sunday, April 10, 2011

Jelly Belly and Trip Round Up

The day before we left California we made a trip to the Jelly Belly Factory. It's about an hour away from where we were staying. We've been on this tour many times. Honestly, I don't think my kids really paid attention to any of the tour. Neither did I since we met up with some of my favorite girlfriends from high school. We were all there for the free samples at the end:-)
We were also there to pick up a ton of Jelly Flops. Which is the best candy ever!
We went to a nearby park after our tour. Here I am with my gorgeous girlfriends Malea and Lisa. It was nice to catch up with them a little bit. Our kids had fun playing soccer and kickball together.


Of course, it was a little shocking to see the homeless people at the park and remembering how you have to check for drug paraphanelia at the local parks. It is so very different then our parks in Texas.
I don't really know why I have this picture of the girls. But they totally LOVE to ride the luggage carts so I thought I would include it.
When we left the Bay Area it was pouring rain again. It was terrible, the girls were acting like crazy animals who go nuts during a thunderstorm. Me and Ken were just looking at each other thinking are we crazy to drive home straight through. Those first three hours were nuts, especialy since it took us three hours to drive from San Mateo to San Jose, something that normally takes 40 minutes.


After that I took a good long nap while Ken drove and when I woke up the rest of the trip was terrific. I am still amazed at how well the kids did since we barely stopped to stretch our legs.


We had a beautiful night sky to admire. We happened to be driving during a full moon, it was also an elliptical moon which happens like every 17 years. The moon was the closest it ever gets. It was so beautiful and bright. I wish we had better pictures to show it off.

Ginger was so excited to help Ken wash the windows. It was way too cute. I can't believe how fast she is growing up.
When we finally stopped to really let the kids stretch their legs, practically 24 hours later, they were so happy!






It took us about 30 hours in total to drive back home. It was a really great trip and so nice to come home to our house. Especially because Lola and Papa had cleaned our kitchen and stocked it full of yummy food. Ahh! Home-Sweet-Home!!!

So Budget Wise this is how we did... I had a goal of spending $500 of our own money (that's the amount that Ken's work wouldn't cover). We had a few hiccups along the way and we ate out a little more then I had planned. Our trip home we ate fast food the entire way, I just could not take another sack lunch. There were also a couple of days I didn't care about our budget and cared more about our children having a good experience. Anyway, all-in-all we spent nearly $1000, so all in all more then we expected. However with Ken's per diem we ended up truly only spending about $250 out of pocket. I would say that is totally awesome for two weeks of awesome FUN!

No comments: