Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Run Chicken Run!

We met some really nice people in Cancun.  One couple is from Saudi Arabia but live in Wisconsin.  That is when they aren't vacationing somewhere awesome every summer for three months!  My goodness we thought that we traveled alot but we have nothing on this family.  

Anyway, the father Riyad, is an awesome negotiator.  He also shops locally wherever they happen to be.  He took my parents to a farm about an hour or so outside of Cancun to buy chickens.  He bought a goat.  I'll post what I remember from their adventure.  Lola and Papa certainly are more adventurous then I am, they also wake up earlier.  The grand kids all really loved to hear their stories from the trip!

These are lime trees on the farm.  Lola and Papa brought us back two huge bagfuls of limes, for free.  Which was really nice.
Picking their chickens.
Chicken coops.  My Dad said that he has never seen a chicken coop so clean.  They keep different coops for the different sizes of birds.
More Limes!  Glorious Limes.  Every time I saw the bag of limes I thought of how rich I would be if I was Amy March.


The farmers home.  Which is for sale BTW- I think it is something like $100,000 that's in dollars not peso.
The little chapel on site.
More buildings.  Since Papa wasn't into slaughtering his own meet he took lots of pictures:-) Those are his words BTW.
Weighing the chickens.  It is 1/3 of the price to get chicken from the farmer then it is from Wal-mart.
Snap, sorry chicken:(
More coops.
Too young to eat.
Baaaaa! Baaaaa!  This is the lamb that Riayd bought-- to eat.
Don't cry, here's cute little baby chicks to look at.
Peacocks are pretty too!
Sheep Pens.



Horsie!
More limes, I think??
The farmers cleaning our chickens.  The farmers parents live with him and help them out on the farm.
The Mexican Farmhouse.
Coconuts!
We learned from one of our drives that it is okay to just pick coconuts off the trees, the police only get mad at you if you block the road.  Also you should pick them when they are green.  Which is funny because I have only seen them brown from the grocery store.
I made you forget about the cute little lamb, huh!  Riyad is Islamic so he performs a special ceremony/prayer before slaughtering their animals.  He does this in Wisconsin too.  That's why he buys it from the Amish people and probably why he is so good at shopping locally and finding great deals!
After he killed the lamb the farmer took care of the rest.


I don't think I will be eating lamb chops anytime soon.

And here is the nice farmer serving up some fresh coconut milk.  He really was nice, I hope that didn't sound flippant.  It's just drastic to go from pictures of him slaughtering the lamb to him bar tending for my mom.

Bagging up our chicken.
Lola with her Coconut!
All the meat packaged nicely and in the back of the Taxi.
This is what driving down the roads look like outside of the hotel and city zone.
The end!

No comments: