Ken and I were able to go on a couple of fun dates when we were in Cancun. We went to a Cenacola, an Italian restaurant in the mall across from our condo. We have been here before when we came to Cancun for our 10th Anniversary. They made a cheese ravioli pasta dish that they called little green hats, I think because the dough was made of spinach. We loved it the first time, but it wasn't as good as we remembered the second time around. They do however make amazing flatbread, almost tortilla like, from their wood oven and serve it with some kind of creamy cheese. That was amazing! It was also fun to watch the guy make them.
Another evening Ken and I decided to try Ruth Chris Steakhouse. We have never gone to one but I've heard they are supposed to have amazing (meaning totally expensive) steaks. So, we weren't very impressed. The only reason their steak was awesome was because they served it on a 500+ degree heated plate so it stayed nice and toasty warm through the meal. It probably also helped that they have herbs and butter melted all over the plate. I hate luke-warm food so I am extremely grateful for that experience. We have tried it a few times at home and it is amazing!Since Ken's birthday was a few days before they surprised him with a little chocolate mousse and lemon cream. They were both pretty good and we enjoyed our dinner out together. Ruth Chris is also at the mall across the street from our condo. We are literally like a 5 minute walk away from our kids. Darin and Nathan babysat for us which was super nice.
The next week we decided we might as well just go to the place we absolutely loved on all of our trips, the Ritz Carlton. We were hesitant to go back there because the Casitas are seriously expensive to rent for the evening. It's $150 just to have your dinner on the beach, then you add on the food and oh my goodness! But the food is so, so, so good! And you can't beat the atmosphere. Then I remembered that if you didn't reserve a casitas then you could eat on the patio overlooking them for free.
It was totally worth it! We had coconut shrimp, the yummy pop-up bread with sauces, split a 24 oz. porterhouse and added a lobster tail. Since we were sharing and because we had talked to the waiter about coming a few times before, they gave us a lobster tail for free. Ken's favorite thing about eating steak here is that they give you different tasting salts to dip your meat in. It's really fun to play with the flavors of the salts. They actually are quite distinct. And oh my goodness, I totally love the little tray and spoon they have. Ken also loves their blasmiq onions, which I still can't re-create. Sounds like a good reason to come back again!
When my parents and sister came into town Ken and I went to the JW Marriott down the street to celebrate our 14th Anniversary. It was a couple of days before the actual day but I didn't want to leave them with all our kids when my Dad went back to Austin.
We had taken the kids snorkeling at Isla Mujeres this day so we had alot of sun and were kind of tired from the day trip. But it was still pure bliss to get away by ourselves! On the balcony of our living room!
We used a bunch of Ken's Marriott points. I'm so glad Ken paid the upgrade fee (only $125 per night) for us to have an oceanfront suite. It was amazing and on the corner so everywhere we looked was beautiful blue ocean. This is looking in from the foyer. No joke there was an actual foyer with a 1/2 bath. Umm, crazy!
The living room balcony.
View from the balcony. There was a wet bar, dining table, and then the couch and TV in the living room.
The walk in closet. Ken's side.
My side.
Bathroom
Bathtub
Shower with two shower heads.
Bedroom with it's own balcony.
The maids put flower petals on our bed since we were celebrating our anniversary. They were spread throughout the room too.
On our balcony. We have really, really good memories from this suite. We only left our room twice. Mainly because we had already been in Cancun for 3 weeks and had spent plenty of time in the ocean and swimming. Also because it doesn't take much to entertain ourselves; good food, some movies, a pack of playing cards, and a comfy bed! We could actual probably hole up in our own little love bubble for a really long time!
We only ate room service and it was tasty and wonderful! Why bother with getting dressed up and going down to dinner or breakfast or lunch--for that matter:-) This was our favorite dinner. A cabbage salad, an avocado and tomato salad, rib eye and lobster tail.
Since I couldn't decide on a dessert Ken ordered all three! A peanut butter chocolate tart, a rich chocolate cake, and a key lime and coconut mousse. I love my sweet husband!
We have fun together when we just stay in at home, but being in such spectacular surroundings and with everything at our fingertips felt like HEAVEN! I love that we have so much fun talking and playing around. This 2 night stay will forever be in our hearts and memories!

No comments:
Post a Comment