
We woke up especially early so we could make sure that our favorite candidate got one of his favorite breakfasts and a huge cup of Hot Chocolate! That's just how much we care! He's off to do his speech, here is a practice run that he did for us right before breakfast...
This has really been a 2 week project for Darin. He has been obsessed with it and working on it every spare moment. First he had to get a permission slip signed (which he did on the 1st night), he also polled his classmates to see how good his odds are (nearly everyday he would tell us who he talked to, if they were running, or if they said they would vote for him). He created his poster and finally finished his speech. They asked for a 1 page speech on your strengths and why you want to be on Student Council. Then they will vote in their home room for 2 people in their class to represent them. This is a major deal to Darin. And I came up with half a dozen catchy slogans, and debated about encouraging him to pass out candy (stuff like that is banned at the school). But finally decided this is Darin's moment and it should be all him. He can do it! So I stayed out of it for the most part, except I did suggest he should probably edit a large section of his speech because it was more about his academic strengths and sounded like a college admission essay, even down to why he is good at Math, how he excels in Science, and what he wants to do someday... So we just asked him what would impress the kids in his class and not his teacher and he re-wrote it. I think he came up with some pretty good stuff, and I hope he wins!
**He Won! Darin is now part of the Student Council!!! Each Homeroom voted for 2 kids from each class. Only Darin and another girl did all the requirements to get on the ballot. One boy was going to do it, but at the last minute he didn't finish. Darin said that he did awesome at his speech, the other girl just read hers all the same and was boring. Good job to Ken for helping Darin see how to make his personality come out this morning during practice! Darin was most proud of his speech!!!
5 comments:
Vote Darin, he's our man!
Wow, good for him. He is so impressive! I VOTE DARIN TIETJEN!
Yay Darin! Oh my I miss all your little munchkins! I bet Ginger won't remember me the next time I see her:(
We're obsessed as well lately, but on a side note I was just looking at the pictures of the kids on the side of the blog and can't believe how they are growing up. Especially the girls. I always picture Rose a baby. She's gorgeous! Ginger looks like a cutie too. Makes me sad we're so far apart and I don't get to know your kids anymore. Miss you!
Awesome! Congratulations Darin!!
Post a Comment