Thursday, October 2, 2008

How do you do it???

This week has just been one thing after another and Ken and I have felt like we are dropping the ball left and right. And I'm just wondering how do you mom's do it all?

I'm not wanting to "Have it all" or anything. Basically all I want to do is have fun with and love my husband and kids, and create a home that is fun and comforting for our friends and family. I don't want to have a career and/or go to school, be the PTA president, or anything major. I just want to enjoy my family and my home.

Ginger is totally walking and into everything. We are in serious need of babyproofing so we can protect Ginger, not to mention it's sometimes hard to enjoy our home when it is the pig-sty that it is. I wouldn't say it is super dirty where the floor moves beneath you or anything, but it is usually messy because we have whatever half finished projects or things not put away and stuff like that.

I know that there are plenty of moms out there who don't have to stuggle with housekeeping at all. In fact I've been in there homes this week, and was so jealous of how clean they were. And I came home and complained to Ken, "How come I can't be like that???". And his answer was, "You like to play with our kids!" But he also said it in a way of please don't say we need to spend more time cleaning because I like the way the house is. But I know from firsthand experience from a friend who lives by me: She totally loves on her 3 active boys, and is a great mom, and keeps her home spotless. And I mean SPOTLESS, everytime she says, "Oh don't go in there I didn't have a time to clean it!" I of course have to peek and it still way cleaner then my house ever is.

I've always been more of the clean for company type of person. Which is what we did last night before I had a Primary Presidency Mtg. But it took the manpower of 4 of us working super fast for 30 minutes before they came to just clean the Family Room, Entry, Dining Room, and Kitchen! No wonder I am always behind.

Anyway, I'll take anyone's suggestions.

5 comments:

Jamie and Lindsey said...

You’re asking us how WE do it???? You are the amazing one. You knock down walls and re-do rooms, can TONS of jam, Go on vacation 500 times (which is so hard in itself preparing, packing, living somewhere else and then coming home and washing and putting everything away),you go to soccer games and practices to cheer on your sons, make special meals, play with your kids and have husband time. These are only a FEW of the things you do all the time! What's really going to matter in the eternities anyway??? These things or how clean your house was each day????
House cleaning is something that comes natural for me, however I still lack the things you have! Count your many blessings, I love you Steph- Jamie

Sheyenne said...

I got nothin'. You do way more than me and I still have a messy house.

sockiepuppetsmom said...

Ok not that I am some expert because I am your sister after all, but after the hurricane I decided I needed to be better. I did all of our laundry, you know how much I hate doing it, and cleaned the house. Ever since then I do laundry every 2-3 days and I clean something everyday. I don't have any little ones at home during the day but I don't do anything at night, except cook dinner, so that I can be there for the girls. One thing that might work for you is Fly Lady, www.flylady.net

Sheen Family said...

PLEASE OH PLEASE OH PLEASE do not become a clean freak!! The most refreshing and my favorite thing about you is how REAL you are!! Your house always looks great - there might be toys out and your kitchen has baked cookies on the counter - but I hardly call that dirty!! It shows us that you have stuff going on in your life and reminds us to play with our kids more and cook cookies and cakes and ice cream and brownies and everything else that you bake for our kids!!!

So again - stay who you are - which is the person who has THE MOST focus her family that I know!! And that is WAY more important than a clean bathroom!!

Natasha said...

ok so serousliy you are like the best mom I know I understand what you mean about dirty houses though I struggle all the time to keep mine clean and I don't do half the stuff you do. Try just picking up at the end of the day or when the kids are napping or busy with something else. We have a basket by our stairs of things that need to go downstairs and that is one of keara's chores is to empty that and put taylers stuff in his room and the rest where it belongs. It helps me a ton to have that so I can throw everything in there and then the room looks better. But don't stress about the housework stuff you are the best mom and spend so much time with your kids. Maybe make your self a list of things you want to get done that day and start off small like I try to do the laundry 3 times a week and get the kitchen cleaned everyday but then again I have a husband who hates a messy house and has a cow when it is messy for long how lucky you are that ken is so not that way. Love ya babe keep up the good work.