Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Sand Dollars and Drive Ins (Day 16)

I have very vivid memories of walking along the beach with my dad picking up tons of whole Sand Dollars. I was around 13 or 14 and we camped near Santa Cruz. I came home with so many Sand Dollars and ended up putting them on display and opening them up to see the star inside for a school project. It is one of my favortie memories with my dad!

So, I have been telling my kids about this, especially Nathan, because he is always looking for Sand Dollars and shells when we go to the beach. But he has never been able to find a whole Sand Dollar.

Well, we went to Sand Dollar Beach, it's near where my dad took me, and it has the name right??? We climbed down about 8 stories of stairs (do you know how long that takes with a 20 month old who insists on walking the whole way!)

Unfortunately the beach was not brimming with Sand Dollars as we hoped. In fact there were none! But the boys had fun playing in the water.


For the first couple of hours Ginger stayed on the blanket again. It is so funny that this trip she has not wanted to get down in the sand and before she used to love it!


Rose had no problem getting out on the sand and wandered up and down the beach 100 ft away from us. She wouldn't go in the water until Ken took her to play.

The kids wanted me to bury them in the sand again. I pulled a muscle on our camping trip the week before but it really started to flare up this day.

Then Daddy came back and gave Ginger lots of snuggles.



A family nearby us started to find Sand Dollars as the tide started to rise. That made Nathan and Darin go on the hunt!

After I started hunting for Sand Dollars with the boys, Ginger decided she was brave enough to get off the blanket.

Ginger ended up loving playing with the waves. She didn't even care when she got hit by one even though the water was freezing.

Darin got tired of hunting for Sand Dollars after an hour or so. They really did look hard. Then he wanted to go deeper and deeper. He ended up going past the sand bar where the water was up to his chest.

Nathan never tired of hunting for Sand Dollars. That kid is Persistant!! He found TWO whole Sand Dollars.

One that was smooth and white and another that was 2/3 of the way covered with the brown fuzz. It must have died just a little bit before it washed up. As Sand Dollars wash up on the shore it knocks the brown fuzz off. When it is totally covered in brown fuzz then you are supposed to toss it back into the ocean because it is still alive.

Ken playing with the Girls!

It was nice to have Ken with us while playing. It feels harder for me when we are on these trips and I get to take the kids to experience new things while he is working. It shouldn't really be that way since he normally works Mon-Fri at home and I would be taking them places there too by myself.

The girls certainly love soaking up their Daddy's attention!

This is Ken explaining to me why he is not going to catch a hermit crab and bring it in for the girls to play with. When I went out to the deeper water with Darin I felt something underfoot, thinking it may be Sand Dollars I dug deep in the sand and pulled handfulls of sand. Then I looked and saw some legs moving, tossed the sand while screaming hysterically and ran back to the shore as fast as I could! (Darin got a good laugh, and Ken got a big scare)

Well, I should have stayed on the shore but Darin convinced me to go again. And I dug in the sand again. This time I ended up grabbing a Hermit Crab again (they aren't small either like 3-4 inches long) but it started crawling on my palms. I ran back to shore screaming again. It was way too CREEPY!

Then I decided it would be better to send Ken in. He relunctantly went (mainly because Darin was dragging him) and he dug for them. But after catching one 3 or 4 times he couldn't resist the instinct to throw them away either after he felt their legs crawling on his skin. So unfortunately our girls were not able to play with a Hermit Crab.


Pctures I took while we were re-capping our day at the beach. It was a fun day! But not over yet, we had a good surprise in store for the kids.

We went straight from the beach back to San Jose. We had just enough time to stop by Kentucky Fried Chicken and pick up dinner. KFC is the ultimate Drive-In Dinnner for us. We used to always go to the drive-in in Provo when the boys were toddlers and we would always pick up a box of fried chicken from the store on our way.

It is so sad that there are hardly any Drive-Ins anymore. We paid $15 for our whole family to see 2 Brand New movies. It's awesome! Plus, taking Ginger to a movie theatre is impossible.

We thought we got their super early (an hour before the show). But it took us that long to unload our trunk. We have been keeping our camping equipment and chairs all in the back of the Suburban. Good thing too, because we had everything we needed to make ourselves comfy for the movie. We pulled out the 3rd row in the Suburban and was able to fit a queen size mattress the back. It was awesome!

Ken tied up all of the extra camping equipment on the top of the car so we could easily move to the next screen for our 2nd movie. We saw Ice Age first.

We hoped the girls would fall asleep for the 2nd Movie (Star Wars) They didn't-- they were having an entirely fun time!

The boys totally loved it too. So much, that they even stayed up for 30 of the 45 minute drive back to the hotel talking about it. That's saying alot since we didn't get back to the hotel until 2:30am It was a really GREAT day and we made some very good memories.

1 comment:

Jeannie said...

OH MY GOODNESS I LOOOOVE DRIVE-IN'S!! We miss that about southern california living a TON.