First I tried to make Oatmeal bread. Which turned out okay, but not great and certainly not as good as the homemade bread I used to order. Then Ginger and I decided to make a second bath of white bread. This one turned out much better and Ginger LOVED helping me!
Monday, November 14, 2011
Monkey Bread
The last 3 weeks or so I've been trying to normalize our family life. Nathan having seizures, business with school, and everyone getting sick has really thrown me/us this fall. I've been watching the Food Nanny and she reminded me of so many different tips and tricks that I used to do to make having dinner together a priority for our family. There was a cold snap and Ginger's playdate got canceled for the day so we had a bunch of free time. I decided to try out one of the Food Nanny's episodes that was all about baking bread. My whole family loved it!
First I tried to make Oatmeal bread. Which turned out okay, but not great and certainly not as good as the homemade bread I used to order. Then Ginger and I decided to make a second bath of white bread. This one turned out much better and Ginger LOVED helping me!


Whenever I knead dough I always say things like, "Cute little baby bottom!" Dough just reminds me of squishy, soft bottoms. Ginger thought that was hilarious and kept saying it over and over. She thought it was the funniest thing. Ginger even started carrying it around like it was a baby.
It rose! I'm always so giddy to see it actually work out! Bread is not my thing at all. I feel so inadequate and have tried many, many times. But, I think this was probably my best one yet so there may be hope for me after all. I have learned how to make some yummy rolls and cinnamon rolls over the last 3 or 4 years so maybe I will be able to master it.
Ken is more then happy with my trying out a recipe every, single week! It is nice to have him home during the day. He got a fresh, hot piece. I tried to time it so that I would be taking out the last one when the boys got home from school, that was kind of a mistake. It ended up that Ken had to bake it while I picked up Rose from school. The boys certainly tore into it when they got home though.
Moral of the story, the Food Nanny is right. Fresh bread from the oven is the quickest way to bring your whole family together!
First I tried to make Oatmeal bread. Which turned out okay, but not great and certainly not as good as the homemade bread I used to order. Then Ginger and I decided to make a second bath of white bread. This one turned out much better and Ginger LOVED helping me!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Your bread looks wonderful and I agree with the Food Nanny, homemade bread does bring people together. I have absolutely no skills in that area but wish I did and wish I didn't have so many in my family allergic to bread. My mom used to make it all the time growing up and I miss the smell and comfort it brought.
I have the darndest luck with bread out here. I never get it to rise just right. My loafs are always thick and hard usually! You'll have to teach me your secrets! PS - love this activity and the fact that it allows your kids to help in the kitchen. Izzy is always looking for ways to help me with dinner, and often I find myself shooing her out. :( I need to work on bringing everyone into the process like you've done!
Post a Comment