Thursdays are my baking days, well at least they have been for the past 3 weeks:-) My goal is to bake something every Thursday for my family and to try out all sorts of amazing bread recipes I have always wanted to make but have been to scared too, etc.
I was actually inspired to come up with theme days for meals by Liz
Edmunds from the Food Nanny. Seriously, I love her! Which is kind of funny because the first couple of times I watched her, I was kind of turned off. But, she has totally grown on me and I feel like I am focusing on a major part of me that I love but have been too busy to really make happen. If that makes any sort of sense???
Anyway, I saw an episode where she taught a family how to make homemade rolls, and turkey rolls at that! I seriously was so giddy to try it out the next day with two of my favorite little ladies. It kept me awake, I was that excited!
I chose Thursday as my baking day because that is the day that Ginger, Izzy, and Wyatt play. Izzy and Wyatt's mom (Lisa) and I take turns switching off who is hosting. Ginger gets to hang out their ranch and have fun with their farm animals and I like to get in the kitchen with them.
So, here's how you make turkey rolls. Make your dough like normal. At the point in the recipe where you shape it before the last rising you roll it out into a circle. Cut it into slices, just like a pizza. I normally do this because I make
butterhorn shapes. But instead of rolling them up, you take a cupcake pan and lay the triangle down into it so that both ends hang over the edge.

Use a toothpick to make two eyes and scissors to cut the tail feathers. It is really so simple!

Here's some pictures of my pretty (and messy) little helpers!





Here's all my birds. They just need to rise now.

I also made a batch of white bread at the same time. My friend Alison, assures me that if I keep at it I will be able to make bread like hers. That would be a miracle, but I desperately want to!

Time to take Izzy and Wyatt back home.

I came home from dropping them off to see a bunch of puffy little birds. Oh my goodness, I was so excited! I made Ken come to the kitchen to see them like a million times.

The bread rose too!

Here's the finished product! My kids loved them! Even my boys kept saying things like "Oh, you cute little turkey!" It could be that my enthusiasm was part of it because I was over the moon happy!

Ginger was pretty happy to be the center of attention at the dinner table too when Darin, Nathan, and Rose were questioning us on how we made them. The little monkey was trying to tell them all sorts of things.

And here's my bread. It turned out so good and seriously light and fluffy! I've never made bread like that before so maybe I am improving. They gobbled up 1 1/2 loaves just for their snack that day. I found Rose and Ginger eating a couple of slices underneath the dining room table, they were so cute.
5 comments:
Those are really cute! Much better than what I was picturing.
So seriously cute! The kids LOVED them!
Way to go!!! Of course, practice makes perfect! I am totally going to make those turkey rolls for thanksgiving.
Great! Thanks for posting, Stephanie! You are amazing.
Those are adorable! And the pictures of Ginger and her friend all covered in flour were totally priceless! And that is hillarious from your next post about Ginger and the bute little baby bum dough :) Se sweet! and Funny!
Post a Comment