Ginger and I would stuff Thursday folders in the morning. It's the weekly announcements that come home each week. Technically we only got to catch a glimpse of Rose here and there because mostly I was out in the halls. But, it still made me feel connected to her and like I was a part of her kindergarten experience. Plus, I would steal a kiss and hug before I left. The teacher has a high school helper coming in now a few mornings so I lost that job in October:-( Seriously, it shouldn't be a big deal but I was kind of depressed about it for a few weeks.
Another fun time was when they were doing their Gingerbread Unit. They mixed up a couple of batches of cookies as a class.
Rose is standing next to Elvis, or as he used to be called "the boy with blue eyes!" She was smitten with him the first month or so of school but had no idea what his name was and everyday when she talked about him she called him the boy with blue eyes. Now she is just friends with him. Thank goodness!
Then when they got home Rose couldn't wait to show us the Macarena that she learned in PE. She loves this dance so much, it's really fun to watch her shake it! Her other favorite thing in PE is jump roping, she has gotten so good that her PE teacher stopped us one day in the car rider line to make sure we knew just how much Rose loved to jump rope.
Now I am helping out in Rose's class two days a week. I help in the morning one day and take a few kids out to give them extra practice with their sightwords, counting, or number recognition. On the day I help in the afternoon I listen to the story they have written and help them to leave the right amount of space and to sound out words they want to write.
I love being in her class with her for so many reasons. It helps me to help Rose in her learning, I get great teaching tips from her teacher that have helped me to be a better Primary President, and lastly I just like to be with her. We think it is so important to be involved in our children's education and for them to know that what they do for their "work" is so important. And teachers always need extra help.
This year was by far my hardest year to get involved in one of our child's classroom. I think mainly it was because her teacher is pretty awesome and a pro, but also part of it was that she was figuring out where she needed help and getting the children adjusted to the school day. I had to ask her about a million times, not really, but probably about 8-10 times of asking when I could come in and help. I can see now how some friends of mine have gotten discouraged and think there isn't really anything to do in the classroom because a teacher turns them down once. But, I just have to say ask one more time, and one more time after that, and don't take it personally, like I did a couple of times. Which was really truly lame of me because Rose's teacher also happens to be the mom of one of Darin's best friends. It is so worth it!
2 comments:
That's so awesome it sounds like she is really enjoying school this year what a great mom to help out. I agree its so important to be involved. Love ya babe
Stephabie, so sweet! I loved all these posts! I love the way you are so involved with each of your children and do so many thing sto make them feel special! You are amazing!
Post a Comment