Friday, May 27, 2011

A Breath of Fresh Air

We had some sort of weird sickness round robin thing happening at our house a few weeks ago. It was weird in that none of the children had the same symptoms and it lasted for varying lengths of time from 24 hours, 48 hours, to 6 days.

Ginger was the worst. For 2 1/2 days she threw up constantly. Like 50-60 times a day. She could not keep anything down, even sipping two teaspoons of water would make her throw up. Ginger also had a low grade fever and was totally lethargic. I felt terrible for her. I've been thrown up on tons of times by my children. But this is the first time I have ever woken up with a child's vomit in my mouth in the middle of the night. Honestly, it wasn't really even gross to me. I just felt so terrible for her. I guess it's times like that when you realize okay, this is what a mother's love is all about. I also felt really guilty because I was happily enjoying Stake Auxiliary Training and socializing all evening when she had started to get sick. Poor Baby:-(

After 2 1/2 days it finally dawned on us (we were in such a zombie state between caring for her, cleaning up the mess, and figuring out all of our other children's soccer schedules for that weekend) that Ken should give her priesthood blessing. It was really quite the miracle because she stopped throwing up immediately. Within a couple of hours she was able to keep down 2 pieces of toast and was back to being her happy go-lucky self.

It was beautiful day outside and we all needed the fresh air. Thank goodness I had seen these bubbles a few weeks ago and stocked up on a bunch of them. They are totally perfect for little kids (like Ginger) who have a hard time blowing bubbles. Just hold the wand up and the breeze does the work for you. We had a really lovely afternoon!











It turns out that Ginger had a UTI. She had stopped her awful throwing up but she still complained of intense pain in her tummy and had a low-grade fever. So after another day of not feeling well we took her to the Emergency Room. Who knew that would cause her to throw-up 200+ times. My girls have never had one before so I had no idea. Thankfully some anti-biotics and she was feeling much better within 24 hours.

No comments: