Sunday, May 22, 2011

Totin Chip Campout

This is Nathan's first "official" overnight with the 11 yr old scouts.  You know cause the 5 other ones he attended with Ken and Darin didn't count.  He was so excited to be in Boy Scouts.  Technically, he shouldn't have been attending per church policy since he hasn't quite turned 11 but, according to Boy Scouts if you are 10 and have earned your Webelos and Arrow of Light you can join Boys Scouts.  So since he met the Boy Scouts requirements and the fact that Ken is his leader he registered him so he can start earning those camping nights.

Nathan is so thrilled!
Bu-Bye!
Me and the girls had to tag along for the two-deep leadership.  Ken wanted to get out to their site early so that they could chop wood for their fire and earn their Totin Chip.  Working from home is super nice when you are a scout leader.
The girls were thrilled to be there.  It's really not fair we have to stay home while brothers go and have all the fun.

Darin is now the tag along on Ken's 11 yr old overnights.  Which sometimes proves to be helpful and sometimes doesn't.
Our friends the Basingers.
I think the only time Nathan stopped was when he was swinging the ax.  Oh, and did I mention how the only reason I have pictures is because I had to hang with them for a couple of hours.  Every time I send Ken out with a camera and a promise to take lots of pictures he comes home with like 4 of them.

Cutie Ginger!
Raising their tents.


I love this man!  He is a really good scout leader and I'm glad that our boys are able to have him for their very first year.  It's so important to have a good leader that first year.



Practicing knife safety.




Chopping wood.

And Tyler shows the boys how to get it done!

Ken gave Rose a chance to chop wood before we left because she apparently thinks she is one of the boys.  Ginger does too!  And boy did those girls whine and cry and complain (and basically make me want to crawl in a hole) the entire way home.  They were so mad and upset that they couldn't stay and go camping.

These are from the next morning.  See how I said Ken promises to take pictures.  Yeah, there are all of two!  I guess the pictures aren't really as important as being a good scout leader.  Nathan came home super happy from his first real camp-out with the Boy Scouts.



No comments: