Honestly, I have never really had much desire to garden. But Shanon, my 1st Counselor taught a sharing time in Primary one Sunday and said a couple of sentences about how the prophet said to plant a garden. It really touched my heart, because when Shanon speaks with her quiet, sweet voice it makes you stop and listen.
Here we are putting together the raised garden beds and filling with dirt.
We need to move a couple of tomato plants because they are totally tangled together and growing like a huge bush. We have had about 3 tomatoes already. Not super big but as big as a large bouncy ball. The children did not want to taste the tomatoes though. My first eggplants! I can't wait, since eggplant is my favorite food ever!
Our sprawling watermelon patch. The 4' x 4' spot has overgrown into twice that size.
The corn is officially taller then our girls. Ken is seriously proud because on the way to church we drive past some corn fields and ours is at least a foot taller if not double in size.
We got out first zucchini! The kids were so excited, everyone wanted to take their picture with it.
They were not very enthused about eating it for dinner though.
It has been a great experience to watch our garden grow. Our children have LOVED it! I thought they would be fascinated for a week or two but they are super excited about it. Like excited enough that I can tell them they have to finish their chores before they can go out and water the garden. It's been alot of fun for our family!
Dear, wonderful Shanon, we THANK YOU for inspiring us to plant a garden!
4 comments:
Hey Stephanie,
That's awesome that you planted a garden this year. I'm glad you've had so much success. I'm especially impressed with the corn because corn generally doesn't do well in this area. Just a couple of tips for you- ignore if you don't want my advice- do not attempt to move your tomatoes. You'll kill them if you dig them up when they're this big. They establish very deep roots. It's okay if they're not pretty and they're all tangled up. You'll just have to explore it a little bit to find the tomatoes. Also, your lettuce isn't doing well because it's a cold-season crop. It needs to be planted around Jan/Feb I believe and it grows before it warms up. Also, back to the tomatoes- they'll stop producing when it gets really hot outside in Jul/Aug, but if you cut them back small at that time, they'll grow and you'll get a whole other harvest in the fall. Fertilize every 4-6 weeks or so. Ladybug Flower Power is a good fertilizer. Enjoy your garden!
Way to go, Tietjens! "The prophet said to plant a garden so that's what we'll do.." Great job, impressive zucchinis! Keep up the good work!
I want to start a garden this year. Thanks to all the rain we have had right about now is the time to start planting so it will be a while before I get anything out of my garden...if I get around to planting it.
ya'll had some kids helping in that garden that didn't belong - what little CUTIES!
Post a Comment