Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Love is in the Air

Monday Night we finally pulled out our Valentine's Mailboxes. We normally start sending each other little love notes a month before Valentine's Day. It's a testament to how crazy January has been for our family.

I seriously love that when Ken was doing a little lesson beforehand he laid it out straight to the kids. He told them how our greatest blessing is that we are a family and have the potential to be a family forever. Then he just asked them if they would want to be with someone who was mean to them or selfish for forever. And how if we really believe and want to be a family forever then we needed to act that way every single day. It was simple and to the point.

Working hard on their notes. Darin went the short and sweet route and wrote up a couple for everyone. Nathan decided he had to redo the writing on his mailbox first because it had little kid handwriting (it has been 4 years since we decorated them at least). Then he wrote us notes. He also quizzed me on what his long note to me from last year said. Talk about pressure! Then again, I think it shows this has become a memorable tradition for them.
Rose really put to use her new Kinder writing skills. We were way impressed! Ginger's getting good at writing her name and gave us lots of happy smiles too and cute notes with a smiley and frowny face. She was also very particular about the candy she put on our notes.
Rose wanted us to cover our eyes while she put the notes in the mailboxes. Seriously so cute and I couldn't help but tease her and look through my fingers. She didn't find it very funny.

Let the LOVE fest begin! All of our mailboxes lined up.
Fortunately, even though we have been overwhelmed with worry and stress our home as been filled to the brim with love. Our children have been extra sweet and caring towards each other and me, especially as we recovered from the effects of Nathan's seizures. I wish that I had stopped and written down all of the special moments, then again I also needed to bask in the moment with them. Here's a few that still touch my heart:

* One night a few weeks ago Nathan was having a hard time falling asleep and was terrified that he was about to have a seizure. Ken was out of town so I let him and Darin sleep downstairs with me. Halfway through the night Ginger came down terrified and crying. She had woken up to go to the bathroom and went into the boys room to check on Nathan. Such a sweet little sister to check on her brother in the middle of the night. When she saw that her brothers weren't there she freaked out and thought that we had left and had taken Nathan to the hospital. Poor thing! It kind of broke my heart to realize how worried she was about her brother. But, on the other hand it is really touching. I scooped her up into bed with all of us and she snuggled right in between me and Darin. I cried the whole time while she fell asleep and heard her breathe deeply like she finally felt safe.

* The girls' feelings really come out in their play. Like mentioning how Nathan can be the prince in their little dramas, except if he has a seizure. It's just little comments here and there that are so matter of fact and totally random.

* Rose got very serious and quiet at one dinner. After we prodded her for awhile she finally told us that she thought she had figured out that Nathan seizures were getting worse the better she is learning at school. (Her words) Sweet girl, she was so worried about that. You could see the wheels spinning in her head and she was figuring it out. We quickly explained to her that Nathan's seizures weren't related to how well she does in school or anything at all that she does and it's not even related to anything Nathan does either.

* Another dinner conversation, you would think all we talk about is Nathan's seizures or something, but seriously it's not. Nathan was just casually talking about the tingling feeling in his leg that happens sometimes. I was asking him a couple of questions about it. He was saying how he had felt it that night of his last seizure for about an hour beforehand and even got up to go to bathroom but then got scared because it got worse, so he ran back to bed. He waited for awhile but still had to go to the bathroom and the second time was when it hit. The second Darin heard that he started questioning Nathan as to why he didn't wake him up, didn't even give Nathan a chance to answer, cut him off and very sternly said that the next time Nathan feels that way he better wake him and he doesn't care whether or not if it is real or not. I've never seen Darin that assertive. It really shocked Nathan, he thought for sure that Darin would be bugged about being woken up whether it was real or not.

* This whole experience has brought our boys even closer. They are happier to rely upon each other. There isn't anymore talk from Nathan of wanting a separate room. Nathan is also happy to help Darin with things he is scared of; like going outside in the dark. It's very touching to see them NOT pick on each others weaknesses but to compensate for them. I am pretty sure they don't even realize it. Just like they probably don't notice that they are helping each other with their chores unconsciously too. They've also been really helpful around the house. Even installing new toilet seats and working together to move furniture as we try to get our house ready to sell.

* We have had less serious dinner times too. The kids have been loving playing Dinner games. Their favorite right now is playing 20 questions about a family member that we all know. That's been lots of fun! Dinner has been a polarizing time in our day. It brings us together and heals us in ways that I never really imagined before. I have always loved to cook but I've really strived the last 3 months since Nathan's seizures have been prominent to really, really focus on our dinnertime.

* One of my favorites is that all of the children have been giving me a ton more hugs and kisses randomly throughout the day. It's like they pass me in the house and have to give me a hug, which I love! I seriously loved that Nathan would jump up and run to me after Primary all last month and give me a hug right after I taught my Sharing Time and released the kids. Sometimes he was so quick that I very nearly fell over. It was the sweetest thing ever! And just what I needed after a long day of Primary. I totally missed it last Sunday when he didn't do it, but maybe it was cause I wasn't teaching:-(

* And my very, very favorite is Ken! It's hard to describe everything. It's lots of little things like being able to talk through our eyes to each other. Especially when it is about our children, and usually when we are comforting one of them while being terrified ourselves. That he never hesitates or complains about checking on the boys when we hear something over the monitor. Or that we can talk for hours and hours about our dreams and hopes, or our frustrations and fears or things we don't want to say outloud. Or that even though we don't feel comfortable leaving Nathan we have still had plenty of dates at home together. Which has been really nice because Ken has had to make lots of little business trips this month. I love that when he is gone we still talk for hours and connect everyday and I still feel like we are his priority. I couldn't imagine going through the stresses and lovely moments of life with anyone else.

No comments: