Monday, February 15, 2010

End of an Era

It's so hard to believe that Darin has finished Cub Scouts. A Whole Era has passed for him. I probably need to get used to this since he will be graduating from elementary school soon too.

I can still vividly remember his excitement as a fresh, bright eyed 8 year old to finally be able to put on a blue uniform and go to Cub Scouts as an "official" member of the Pack. He would attend sporadically for month/years before he was 8 since Ken has served in Cub Scouts off and on.

And now it's over, done, finished!!! Darin has moved onto Boy Scouts! I'm not quite sure if I should cry or be excited. I am excited, like REALLY excited, because Darin is sooooooo excited and Ken is sooooooo excited. But, Boy Scouts seems kind of like this mysterious den of Outdoorsy, Camping Male-ness! Don't get my wrong I am a HUGE fan for Boy Scouts. Even when I was a teenager I was excited about Boy Scouts. The guys I grew up with went on all these fun adventures and had all these amazing experiences.

Anyway, it just seems like Scouts is a much bigger deal-- NO Mommies allowed. Which is funny because our ward only has ever had fathers as leaders. So my emotions really don't make any sense.

Well, here it is...Darin's final nights of Cub Scouts

Except this is Nathan getting his awards first.


Darin getting his awards.

I would just like to highlight Ken and I's extreme shame! Do you see all the lovely badges and patches sewn on our son's uniform???

What, did you miss them? How can that be? Like not even the Pack's number? Umm-yeah. We are quite possibly the worst Cub Scout Parents EVER. Darin's little ribbon thingy to hang all of his pins on-- Ken bought THIS very day of the Pack Meeting!

Let me just say in our defense that we really have tried to be good Cub Scout parents.

Darin earned his Webelos Badge and his Religious Knot!


Our District has a Troop that performs a special Arrow of Light Ceremony.

There were 3 other boys from Darin's Webelos Den that earned their Webelos Badge and Arrow of Light at the same time as him.

It was pretty good! I was impressed that those Young Men had memorized their parts so well and would take time out on a Saturday night to do this for these younger Cub Scout Boys.

Darin receiving his Arrow of Light!

Darin with the Performers

We are so proud of him!

After the Award Ceremony we went home and had Cheese Sticks and PIE!


What's That? A PRESENT??? He had no idea that we had gotten him a present. I don't really know the whole protocol on formal presents and Scouts or whatever. And every mom I asked who had older boys hadn't ever given them a present when they finished Cub Scouts:-(

But, when I received my Young Women's Medallion my parents gave me a present. If/when he gets his Eagle I imagine we will give him a present, we give him a present for pretty much every rite of passage, so I think that this is just as worthy. He earned every rank, his Religious Knot, and his Arrow of Light how can you not celebrate that with a gift?

This isn't just any gift. This had to be the PERFECT gift to celebrate his hard work, signify his coming of age, and inspire his future steps.

Seriously, I am totally not kidding, Ken and I debated a few different ideas before we chose this very special gift months ago. It's a Leatherman! And it has meant everything to him that we hoped it would mean.

A Leatherman is like the worlds coolest pocket knife. It folds up and has a sheath that goes on your belt. There is a ton of different things in it, pliers, saws, bottle opener, etc. Ken is a HUGE fan and wears his every day. So this totally has a coming of age significance for our boys.

So much so that Nathan had a HUGE fit of jealousy over it. He was not a happy camper, and he wanted me to promise that I would get him one when he graduates from Cub Scouts. I just said, "I promise I will get you something just as special that will mean just as much to you." Yeah, that didn't reassure him much!

Lola and Papa came to the Awards Ceremony and to Pie afterwards. The boys always feel so special because of them.

This is our Scout. All Fresh, and Bright-eyed on his first day of Scouts. It's amazing that he was just an I'm so cool Webelos, but now he looks all innocent as a little scout.

This isn't his 11 year old Scout Leader, because that would be Ken.

Instead this is his Webelos Leader, and Bear Leader, and Wolf Leader...Dan Phipps or should I say Dr. Cool! No, seriously the boys call him that! He is the best leader we could have ever dreamed of. Darin has loved Cub Scouts because of him. Heck, he is the reason why Darin received most of his awards.

Like honestly, I probably sound like we are the worst Cub Parents, but we aren't, well at least I won't admit it. We just have been so, so, so busy. We have done little more then Sunday Planning and Goal Setting with our boys and they have taken it from there. I've always felt guilty getting the Mother's Pin. Except this year, when I actually did more to help him complete his requirements and then I didn't get one. It totally figures:-)

And for the record: Ken and I have planned every Blue and Gold Banquet, Pinewood Derby, and most of the Pack Activities and Awards Ceremonies for the past 5 years. Frankly, I'm excited for my boys to move on to Scouts. But alas, Nathan is still in Cub Scouts and he is eager for the attention to ALL be on him now:-)

And Darin is totally fine with his badge not being on his uniform because I told him I would make him a formal shadow box with all of his badges, pins, and loops. Darin thinks this is so awesome! When I told Nathan I wouldn't be as lame with him and would start sewing on his stuff he very nearly burst into tears because he wants a shadow box too. It took many conversations to calm him down and let him know he could still have a shadow box if I sew the patches on. Seriously, it is all about Nathan now in Cub Scouts:-) It is very hard to be a younger brother sometimes.

3 comments:

Jamie and Lindsey said...

How cool for Darrin, he looks so happy in all of those pictures! I feel like a slacker in the scout department as well, although I do have more badges sewn on Dallin's uniform. I helped him get his wolf and Bear but he's been a Webelo for about 4 months and I haven't even read the book yet! No one explained the program to us, is it harder than the other two?

Darin said...

Thanks mom I love my leatherman,and you are not lame. Thanks for helping me aaaaaaaalot in Cub Scouts.

Shanon said...

You are only a bad scouting mom when the scout master asks you if you will please sew on your son's patches for the court of honor and this is the 5th time he's asked and he's practically on his knees begging (not that this has happened to me or anything.)