Monday, December 13, 2010

Music Man

Darin had his First Band Concert! He has been learning to play the Trombone in his Middle School Band Class, which he has totally loved. He has actually bragged to all of us, mutiple times, about how the trombone is the biggest instrument that they have you take home. It really is. I wish I had a picture of him carrying it every single day to school. It's ridiculous, between that and his backpack I swear he hauls most of his body weight every single day.


Their concert was at the High School next door to the Middle School. I was pretty impressed, it was WAY nicer then the auditorium I grew up with. Darin's Beginner Band (6th grade band) is pretty large. Here in Texas they don't mess around when it comes to band. Instead of being the geeky thing from our past, it's the Super Cool thing to do here and Darin is loving it.
The concert was pretty amazing. I sincerely wish we had taken the band teachers advice and recorded Darin the first week of school. The progress they have made was pretty astonishing.

After the concert we went out to the Pink Penguin. Which is our kids favorite ice cream place now. They do self-serve yogurt with all the toppings. You make whatever you want and pay per the ounce. Darin prided himself on making the heaviest. It was so heavy he was invited to write his name on the wall. And then he ate less then half of it:-)

Me and my boy! I was so thankful that I was able to attend. This was the first time that I sat down for an hour + in about 2 1/2 weeks. I had a setback earlier that week with my back and I really had to struggle to be able to attend this special evening for Darin. I'm so grateful I was able to hear him play with the whole band. I managed to only cry like 2 times during the concert and 3 times after because I was so happy.

Darin had played his songs for me mutiple times as I laid in bed getting iced up, but it would never have been the same as hearing him in the great, huge hall with the entire band.

1 comment:

Jules said...

I love music and think it is great that he is playing in the band! Seth also picked the trombone and loves it!