Wednesday, December 31, 2008

The Year in Review

My New Year's Resolution for 2008 was basically to survive the coming year and keep my family going and growing. The first few weeks of the year were full of so many unknowns as Ken started his new job with a company in California. There was alot of uncertainty as to where we would live and when we would move out to CA. His new work had agreed for him to telecommute until our children were out of school but expected us to move during the summer. Add to that my nervousness at having my husband travel semi-frequently when he had avoided that completely in the past, while taking care of my children (a 2 Month old baby, 1 1/2 years, 7 1/2 years, and nearly 9). All I wanted to do was survive 2008!

Well...we survived. I would say we thrived! Ironically, when I first started to blog I picked our title because we were moving. And yet it perfectly fits our family.

2008 will forever be known to our family as the year of travel. We were gone just a few days shy of 2 entire months out of the year.
** We kicked off the year with 3 nights in Houston, complete with a Monster Truck Rally (guys only)
** A week in Utah for Meridin's wedding.
** Nearly 2 weeks in California over Spring Break as we accompanied Ken on a trip to his companies headquarters
** Ken, I and Ginger spent a week in London and Paris
** We spent a week and a half in Cancun for Ken and I's 10th anniversary. And by "we", I mean Ken, Stephanie, Darin, Nathan, Rose, Ginger, Lola, and Papa.
(After a whole 48 hours at home after being in Cancun)
** We spent nearly another 2 weeks in California again as Ken visited his headquarters
** And 2- 2 night trips over the summer to Ft. Worth. We were accompany Ken as he visited a customer

I learned a ton of things over the past year (other then how to breeze through airport security). Actually this year I struggled and grew the most since I've been married.
** I learned that I could handle the kids on my own when Ken traveled. I was actually very scared to be by myself with them, Ken helps out alot.

** I learned that Ken and I can still have a great marriage even when he travels. Before this year we had only been apart 9 nights in 9 years of marriage. Now we are up to around 40-ish.

**I've memorized this quote: "We never touch people so lightly, that we do not leave a trace."

** I've learned I can run. Literally run, after years of not and a lifetime of never wanting too. And I also learned I can go faster to accomplish more then I ever thought humanely possible.

** I've felt like I have been so blessed because we are supposed to be working as hard and diligently as we can to raise the next generation of strong leaders.

** I learned to be more forgiving of other moms. As I've made blunders, and realize sometimes for the sake of your family you just have to say no, I'm really not so quick to judge other mom's I run into in various volunteering positions. Whether they have 1,2,10 kids...Mom's are moms and they fill up all their available time trying to do what's best for their family.

** I have realized I have a very serious addiction. I don't know about anyone else, but I am thinking that downloading 163 songs in 12 months is a lot. Especially because it didn't even really feel like it. Honest! It's just a song here and there:-)

** I learned how to throw parties without stressing out. Mainly because I love to party still, but I wouldn't have the time to if I was going to stress about it too.

** I've learned that I can be a terrible girlfriend. Sending birthday presents 4 months late, if I even remember at all, never calling, being wrapped up in my own world of cute little babies, forgetting promises I've made, etc. I've done things I said I would never do, been too humiliated to say I'm sorry, and thought about my friends a hundred times more then I've acted like it.

** I've learned I do not want to live at a hotel. I actually thought that would be a fabulous life. But now I am cherishing being home with our children.

** I've learned that it was worth the risk. Supporting and encouraging Ken as he left a stable large company that has never had lay-offs to work for a medium sized start-up in the Bay Area during these unstable economic times was a risk, but it has been a rewarding and life-changing experience.

** I know I haven't learned this, but I've been forced to say "No". It's really hard when there are so many good things I want to do, that I would love to do, that I know I can do better, etc.

So that pretty much sums up my year. Oh except, I left out that I think I can telepathically change traffic lights when I am running late. Which would be practically every single day in 2008, but I think my ability will wane in 2009 with the new moon so I'm going to try and leave early.

As for Ken, this year has been a dream for him. He has loved his job and telecommuting. Ken has grown a ton in and out of work. For one thing his communication skills have shot through the roof! Now that--that is the only way his boss knows what he is up to. I can see how the positive effects of being passionate about his work has carried into the rest of our lives. He has made it possible that we no longer have to move, and it is actually an advantage for us to stay in Texas. YIPEE! I am really proud of him!

6 comments:

Natasha said...

Yay im so proud of you babe you sure have grown a ton. I only wish you lived closer so we could grow together but that won't ever happen. Well I love you babe and you are a great friend.

sockiepuppetsmom said...

Just reading about your year makes me tired!! I think it's good that you have grown a ton in a year, it reminds us that we still need to grow:)

Toad said...

Thanks for the Christmas card!! It is so good to see your family grow. I love your blog and I'm excited that I can keep in touch with you now.
Emily

Kelly M said...

Your family is beautiful! Look at you with 2 girls! I am excited to check out your blog and keep in touch! Miss you, Kelly

Jeannie said...

I liked your post Stephanie, what a great year!!

Scrap Happy Mommy of 2 said...

What a year! And I thought mine was crazy! Hope you have another great year! Glad your Christmas was nice...that's the kind of holidays we like, the ones we can actually enjoy because we're NOT running around like chickens with our heads cut off! Hope you can find some time to put some of your amazing recipes on our blog too! I could use a few new good ones! HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!